Gary R., List:

Thanks for bringing this interesting and indeed very brief article to our
attention (
https://www.academia.edu/1237921/A_Necessary_Condition_for_Proof_of_Abiotic_Semiosis).
I will likely offer some detailed comments about it in the near future, but
for now I will just respond to a couple of your own remarks prompted by it.

GR: A theist might argue that this aboriginal semiosis is *not *strictly 'a
*bio*tic', that it comes from the 'action' (so to speak) of a "*living *
God."

Champagne presumably uses the term "abiotic" because he is referring
specifically to the forms of life that fall within the well-established
science of biology. No theist would include God among them, and it also
excludes mere atoms despite Peirce's conception "that they are not
absolutely dead" (CP 6.201, 1898). In fact ...

GR: But then the question immediately arises: whence comes this "semiosis
outside the living world"?

According to Peirce, physicosemiosis is *not *"outside the living world"
because "dead matter would be merely the final result of the complete
induration of habit reducing the free play of feeling and the brute
irrationality of effort to complete death. Now I would suppose that that
result of evolution is not quite complete even in our beakers and
crucibles" (ibid). Moreover, "all thought is in signs" (CP 5.253, EP 1:24,
1868), and "Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears
in the work of bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical world"
(CP 4.551, 1906). While bees are obviously biotic, crystals surely qualify
as abiotic in Champagne's sense.

In short, Peirce's view is that the evolution of the universe is still in
progress from living mind toward dead matter--"the physical law as derived
and special, the psychical law alone as primordial," such that "matter is
effete mind, inveterate habits becoming physical laws" (CP 6.24-25, EP
1:292-293, 1891). He holds that "*matter *is a peculiar sort of *mind* ...
mind so completely under the domination of habit as to act with almost
perfect regularity & to have lost its powers of forgetting & of learning"
(R 936:3, no date). This is precisely the opposite of Deacon's hypothesis
that mind emerged from matter.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian