Jon,

Thank you for presenting the alignment of the Peirce's three different
terminological expressions of the three interpretants so succinctly, which
is also to say that I agree with you -- as opposed to that anonymous
reviewer -- that the "[explicit/ effective/ destinate interpretants] ought
be aligned with the others" since, as you wrote: "The terms themselves
clearly imply this."

You also write that aligning them thusly "is also consistent with the
principle that the genuine correlate (destinate/final) determines the
degenerate correlate (effective/dynamical), which determines the doubly
degenerate correlate (explicit/immediate). . .'' So expressed, this seems
to follow the i*nvolutional* vector commencing at 3ns, moving through 2ns,
to 1ns. I note that you use the term 'determine' to express these relations
while in thePeirce quotation above Peirce writes "involving."

I also don't see -- or, perhaps, don't yet understand -- why you write that
the three interpretants "are not a trichotomy for sign classification." Why
not? It seems to me that immediate/dynamical/final are aligned with
1ns/2ns/3ns. Granted the three interpretants "constitute a trichotomy in
the specific sense defined by Peirce," but the "genuine thirdness" of the
final interpretant followed by the two genera of degeneracy seem to me
marked categorially: dynamic/"reactional" (2ns) and
immediate/"qualitative"1ns) as are all the other elements in Peirce's
classification as I read it. So why exclude the three interpretants from
Peirce's classification of signs as they seem to be a categorial
subdivision of an essential sign element, viz., the interpretant?

Best,

Gary R

On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 8:49 AM Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>