Helmut, List:

According to Peirce, we discover (not invent) continuity in
phaneroscopy--our conception of it comes from directly observing the flow
of time, which he calls "the continuum *par excellence*, through the
spectacles of which we envisage every other continuum" (CP 6.86, 1898), so
that "to say it is continuous is just like saying that the atomic weight of
oxygen is 16, meaning that that shall be the standard for all other atomic
weights. The one asserts no more of Time than the other asserts concerning
the atomic weight of oxygen; that is, just nothing at all" (CP 4.642,
1908). Here are a few more quotations about this.

CSP: To imagine time, time is required. Hence, if we do not directly
perceive the flow of time, we cannot imagine time. Yet the sense of time is
something forced upon common-sense. So that, if common-sense denies that
the flow [of] time is directly perceived, it is hopelessly entangled in
contradictions and cannot be identified with any distinct and intelligible
conception. But to me it seems clear that our natural common-sense belief
is that the flow of time is directly perceived. (NEM 3:60, c. 1895)

CSP: That this element [continuity] is found in experience is shown by the
fact that all experience involves time. Now the flow of time is conceived
as continuous. No matter whether this continuity is a datum of sense, or a
quasi-hypothesis imported by the mind into experience, or even an illusion;
in any case it remains a direct experience. (CP 7.535, 1899)

CSP: One opinion which has been put forward and which seems, at any rate,
to be tenable and to harmonize with the modern logico-mathematical
conceptions, is that our image of the flow of events receives, in a
strictly continuous time, strictly continual accessions on the side of the
future, while fading in a gradual manner on the side of the past, and that
thus the absolutely immediate present is gradually transformed by an
immediately given change into a continuum of the reality of which we are
thus assured. The argument is that in this way, and apparently in this way
only, our having the idea of a true continuum can be accounted for. (CP
8.123n, c. 1902)

Although Peirce acknowledges in the second passage that our direct
perception/experience of time might be an illusion, he nevertheless
suggests in the other two that its inescapability assures us of its
reality, and that this is the only way to account for our having the idea
of a true continuum at all. Moreover, right before the statement that I
quoted at the end of my last post, he makes the case at greater length that
we could not even imagine true continuity unless there were *something *in
reality that corresponds to it.

CSP: I will submit for your consideration the following metaphysical
principle which is of the nature of a retroduction: Whatever unanalyzable
element *sui generis* seems to be in nature, although it be not really
where it seems to be, yet must really be [in] nature somewhere, since
nothing else could have produced even the false appearance of such an
element *sui generis*. ...
In the same way, the very fact that there seems to be 3ns in the world,
even though it be not where it seems to be, proves that real 3ns there must
somewhere be. If the continuity of our inward and outward sense be not
real, still it proves that continuity there really is, for how else should
sense have the power of creating it?
Some people say that the sense of time is not in truth continuous, that we
only imagine it to be so. If that be so, it strengthens my argument
immensely. For how should the mind of every rustic and of every brute find
it simpler to imagine time as continuous, in the very teeth of the
appearances,--to connect it with by far the most difficult of all the
conceptions which philosophers have ever thought out,--unless there were
something in their real being which endowed such an idea with a simplicity
which is certainly in the utmost contrast to its character in itself. But
this something must be something in some sense like continuity. Now nothing
can be like an element so peculiar except that very same element itself. ...
The extraordinary disposition of the human mind to think of everything
under the difficult and almost incomprehensible form of a continuum can
only be explained by supposing that each one of us is in his own real
nature a continuum. (NEM 4:344-345, 1898)

Regards,

Jon