John, List:

I changed the subject line since your reply did not actually have anything
to do with my updated candidate for Delta EGs. As always, I would welcome
any feedback on that in the other thread.

JFS: For any theory of any kind with any logic of any kind, axioms are
always stated in an if-then form. The if-part (shaded) states the
condition, and the then part states the conclusion. Even definitions are
stated as if-then statements in EGs.

This reflects just how fundamental if-then is as a logical operation, which
is why in his expositions of EGs until June 1911, Peirce consistently
recognizes that the scroll is a primitive--along with the blank sheet and
(in Beta) the line of identity--and then *derives *the cut for negation
from it as the implication of absurdity or falsity. However, as you have
often pointed out, Peirce changes his strategy for *explaining *EGs in June
1911, between writing R 669 and R 670. He realizes that *shading *an oddly
enclosed area is a *more iconic* way to convey that it is a *different
surface* from an evenly enclosed area than drawing a thin line as its
boundary, and that it would be easier for audiences unfamiliar with EGs to
understand and use the notation if he instead treated shading as a
primitive for negation.

The two approaches are *philosophically *different, but fully equivalent
for implementing classical logic. "Out of the conceptions of non-relative
deductive logic, such as consequence, coexistence or composition,
aggregation, incompossibility, negation, etc., it is only necessary to
select two, and almost any two at that, to have the material needed for
defining the others. What ones are to be selected is a question the
decision of which transcends the function of this branch of logic" (CP
2.379, 1902). Peirce initially selects coexistence (sheet) and consequence
(scroll) for *theoretical *reasons, but eventually switches from the latter
to negation (shading) for *practical *purposes.

JFS: For example: "If x=y and y=z, then x=z." "Every triangle has three
sides" is equivalent to "If x is a triangle, x has three sides." In that
example, the proposition (pheme) about equality is an axiom, since it must
be true of every possible world. But the pheme about triangles is a
postulate that is true in geometry, but it might not be a postulate in some
other possible world.

On the contrary, there is *no *possible world in which a triangle *does not*
have three sides, unless we are allowing for a world in which the word
"triangle" has a different definition. In that case, there would also be
some possible worlds in which x=y and y=z but it is not the case that x=z,
because the symbol "=" is defined as denoting a non-transitive relation
(such as incompossibility or negation) instead of a transitive one (such as
equality, identity, coexistence, or implication). Of course, "Every
triangle has three sides" could also be stated as an if-then statement--"If
something is a triangle, then it has three sides."

JFS: The distinction between axioms and postulates is one that Peirce
adopted from Euclid ...

Peirce himself describes the distinction between definitions, postulates,
and axioms as follows.

CSP: A *definition *is the logical analysis of a predicate in general
terms. It has two branches, the one asserting that the definitum is
applicable to whatever there may be to which the definition is applicable;
the other (which ordinarily has several clauses), that the definition is
applicable to whatever there may be to which the definitum is applicable. *A
definition does not assert that anything exists.*
A *postulate *is an initial hypothesis in general terms. It may be
arbitrarily assumed provided that (the definitions being accepted) it does
not conflict with any principle of substantive possibility or with any
already adopted postulate. By a principle of substantive possibility, I
mean, for example, that it would not be admissible to postulate that there
was no relation whatever between two points, or to lay down the proposition
that nothing whatever shall be true without exception. For though what this
means involves no contradiction, it is in contradiction with the fact that
it is itself asserted.
An *axiom *is a self-evident truth, the statement of which is superfluous
to the conclusiveness of the reasoning, and which only serves to show a
principle involved in the reasoning. It is generally a truth of
observation; such as the assertion that something is true. (EP 2:302, c.
1901)

A definition "does not assert that anything exists," only that *if*
something exists to which the definition is applicable, *then *the
definitum is likewise applicable to that thing, and vice-versa--i.e., *logical
equivalence*, represented in EGs as two scrolls (nested cuts or ring-shaped
shaded areas) with the antecedent and consequent trading places between
them. A postulate is "an initial hypothesis" that "may be arbitrarily
assumed," so in accordance with R 514, it is scribed in the (shaded) margin
of the sheet for a *possible *state of things and thereby "merely asserted
to be possible." An axiom is "a self-evident truth," "generally a truth of
observation," so it is scribed on the (unshaded) sheet for the *actual *state
of things and thereby asserted to be true, often as an if-then proposition
represented by a scroll. Notice how the if-then operation is integral to
all three of these.

JFS: After re-reading Don Roberts' chapter on Gamma graphs (which I hadn't
read for years), I realize that there is no conflict between that chapter
and his writings about Delta graphs in L376. ... Furthermore, what Peirce
wrote about Delta graphs in L376 is consistent with his 1903 version of
modal logic in every possible world.

Again, what Peirce writes about Delta graphs in R L376 is *only *the single
statement, "I shall now have to add a *Delta *part in order to deal with
modals." Everything else in the 19 extant pages of that letter to Risteen
is applicable to *every *part of EG--there is nothing dealing with modals
or otherwise unique to Delta. As Roberts summarizes it, "Peirce gives a
sketch of the history of EG, reaffirms his opinion that all reasoning is
dialogical, and points out that the purpose of EG was not to serve as a
calculus, but 'to facilitate the anatomy, and thereby the physiology of
deductive reasonings.' This manuscript contains the only reference I have
found to a proposed Delta part of EG which would deal with modal logic" (p.
135).

JFS: But the "papers" of L376 allow the "postulates" in the margins to
state additional information about the nested graphs. For example that the
nested graphs, may be wished, hoped, feared, imagined, or occurring at some
time in the past, present, future in the real word or in heaven, hell,
Wonderland, or the Looking Glass.

Again, that is *not *how postulates work. They are not metalanguage
*about *other
propositions, they are hypothetical premisses from which other propositions
would *follow necessarily* as conclusions; or in an if-then proposition,
they constitute the antecedent (in the shaded margin) from which other
propositions *follow necessarily* as the consequent (in the remaining
unshaded area). That is how *all *the theorems of Euclidean geometry are
derived from its five postulates.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt