Helmut, List:

HR: I think: A sign triad is an irreducible composition of the three
relations.

According to Peirce, the genuine triadic relation of representing or (more
generally) mediating has three correlates--the sign, its (dynamical)
object, and its (final) interpretant. This relation is *irreducibly *triadic,
such that it is not *composed *of its constituent dyadic relations,
although it *involves *the genuine dyadic relations between the sign and
its external correlates--its dynamical object, its dynamical interpretant,
and its final interpretant.

HR: Each of the three relations (if it may be said, that "the sign alone"
is a relation too, a relation between the sign and itself), are of one of
three classes so a sign triad it is a composition of classes.

According to Peirce, there is no trichotomy for the sign's *relation *with
itself. In his 1903 taxonomy, the first trichotomy is for the sign itself *as
a correlate*, while the second and third trichotomies are for the sign's
genuine dyadic *relations *with its (dynamical) object and (final)
interpretant. Together, these three trichotomies result in ten sign
classes, not "compositions of classes"--one class of qualisigns (later
tones), three classes of sinsigns (tokens), and six classes of legisigns
(types); three classes of icons, four classes of indices, and three classes
of symbols; six classes of rhemes (later semes), three classes of dicisigns
(phemes), and one class of arguments (delomes). In his 1906-1908
taxonomies, Peirce adds trichotomies for the other five correlates, the
sign's genuine dyadic relation with its dynamical interpretant, and the
genuine triadic relation. Together, these ten trichotomies *would *result
in 66 sign classes upon being arranged in their proper logical order of
determination, but Peirce himself never did this.

HR: But all this doesn´t mean, that between parallel classes (such as icon,
index, symbol) there is a gradient instead of a sharp distinction.

According to Peirce, one sign can be more or less iconic, indexical, or
symbolic than another sign--especially since all symbols *involve *indices
and icons, and all indices *involve *icons. Moreover, a sign can be
*predominately
*iconic while still having indexical and symbolic aspects, or
*predominately* indexical while still having symbolic aspects. On the other
hand, both tones as "indefinite significant characters" and types as
"definitely significant Forms" are *embodied *in tokens, such that every
type *involves* tokens (its instances) and every token *involves *tones.
Most (maybe all) of the other eight trichotomies in Peirce's 1906-1908
taxonomies are sharp distinctions, although the necessitant typically *involves
*the existent and the possible, and the existent *involves *the possible.
For example, every sign must be *either *a seme, a pheme, or a delome; but
all delomes *involve *phemes and semes, and all phemes *involve *semes.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt