Gary,

Just some short comments to your main points in this post. - I saw there is a
further post by you, but I have not yet read but the title of it.

I've never thought the concept of 'ground' in Gestalt theory is, or could be,
the same or even nearly the same as in Peirce's philosophy. One, the simplest,
reason being that Gestalt theory is just a psychological theory of perception.
It's not a philosophy, not even philosophical. - Although it may be useful in
philosophy, providing examples which can be used as philosophical
demonstrations. - As was the case with Wittgenstein. - Anyway, I look forward
to reading your thoughts on Zeman.

Then, to your trichotomics. - I think there still are some problems.

Trichotomies, in Peircean semiotics, apply to divisions of signs, sign
classifications in the first place.

You write:
>> Relata of the socio-logical sign relation in human semiosis (from the
>> standpoint of the utterer of the sign):
>> Utterer (1ns)
>> Semiotic interaction (2ns, in the sense that signs are both uttered &
>> interpreted)

Taking the standpoint of the utterer first  is not the same as putting the
utterer the first in the diagram. - It means thinking out what the first - from
this particular standpoint - actually - and even necessarily-  is.

Well, think about it.

I've not been so well lately, so there may be lags in responding.

Best,

Kirsti
On 5.1.2012, at 4.05, Gary Richmond wrote