This bears on nothing currently under discussion, but I happened upon a note
copying a passage from the Logic Notebook in which Peirce explicitly defines
immediate and direct and thought I should record it here, given how
frequently the question comes up..  Of course it may or may not record his
actual usage, but only an intended usage at that time.  But it can be
compared with other passages  in which the terms are defined.  Anyway, it
goes as follows:

A primal is that which is something that is in itself regardless of anything
else.

A Potential is anything which is in some respect determined but whose being
is not definite

A Feeling is a state of determination of consciousness which apparently
might in its own nature (neglecting our experience of it etc.) continue for
some time unchanged and that has no reference of anything else I call a
state of consciousness immediate which does not refer to anything not
present in that very state

I use the terms immediate and direct, not according to their etymologies but
so that to say that A is immediate to B means that it is present in B.
Direct, as I use it means without the aid of any subsidiary [unreadable
word] or operation.

--  MS 339.493; c. 1904-05   Logic Notebook

Joe Ransdell