Larry Sanger wrote:

"This question--who authorizes the authorities--really lies at the heart of
social epistemology, and reminds me of an essay I read in grad school,
"Egoism in Epistemology" by Richard Foley (in *Socializing Epistemology*--I
just pulled the book off the shelf).  Among other things Foley distinguishes
"derivative" and "fundamental" authority, which is roughly the difference
between authority for which I have reasons to believe a person is a reliable
source of knowledge, and authority for which I have no such reasons.  A
central issue in social epistemology is whether--at some point--we must
simply take what others say on trust, or whether it is always possible in
some deep way ultimately to justify our reliance on testimony.  "Epistemic
egoists" (Foley's term) say it is possible."

Dear Folks-

Peirce speaks of reliance upon authority as one way of fixing belief . But I believe he recommends the method of science as perhaps the better way to settle questions of fact if one's goal is primarily to learn the truth of the matter. Unfortunately we are not always in a position to conduct scientific investigations and must rely on less direct ways of acquiring the sort of information science can provide. In such case it would be nice to have access to some representative sample of scientific results succinctly summarized in a way we could understand them without ourselves having the scientific background and resources necessary to do the research ourselves. Similarly it would be nice to have access to information about all sort of topics categorized and summarized in a felicitious and transparent way -- by which I mean accessible, comprehendable and traceable to its source so that we could make a judgment as to its bias (deliberate or otherwise).

I say bias because this what we seem to fear --- that the information will be distorted or falsified because of some prejudice or ulterior motive of those who have provided it. But what I really want to say is merely POV. The usefulness, comprehensiveness and ultimately truth of all information is limited by the fact that it represents from a particular point of view. What we seek (and what the scientific method is expresessly set up to provide) is a representative sampling of all possible points of view. There are no priviledged points of view. Truth is that which is common to all points of view.

What we seek from so called experts is their access to this "common" knowledge or POV. What makes one an expert is not that they know something unique to a special POV but that they know what is common to all points of view of a particular topic. This, it seems to me, is the uncommon common sense we speak of as being the domain of wisdom. An expert knows a lot about a particular topic. What's rare about an expert's knowledge is its scope. The expert distills the conceptual essence of a subject matter from many points of views. Expertise is a reliable access to truth, not because it is based upon a unique or rare POV, but precisely because it is not dependent upon or limited to a particular point of view. And the measure of what is not dependent upon a particular POV (or of POV in general) is that which is common to all points of view. What all POVs have in common is the truth. What is unique to every POV is error. What is unique to the truth is that it is what is common to all POVs. What is common to all error is that it uniquely expressed in every POV. Truth and error are common and unique in exactly opposite ways.

And how do we collect and provide access to the sort of expertise we seek? I'm not sure but I would look to the scientific investigation of the question as the best way to provide answers. What is the most reliable way to collate scientific information, or expert summation of scientific information, in a easily accessable fashion is itself a scientific question. Does some sort of citation count procedure (such as google etc) provide the most representative sampling of the information domain? And what sort of "expert" information domain do we want to sample -- maybe some way of providing more transparancy about the domain sampled coupled with broad and representative sampling is the best way to categoriize and make accessible what folks are seeking. Somehow though, I doubt that committees selected on the basis of academic standing (judged by some committee of academics) is going to provide the sort of broad and comprehensive expertise we deseve and are capable of providing with the tools of the internet. Seems to me we need to come up with some less value laden selection criteria. Something more tied to the mere quantitative dimensions of the information domain being sampled -- as opposed to being tied to the particular values of those designing the information system. Ha -- I suppose my values rather than the values of those doing the work!

In any case I agree that it would be helpful if information were somehow tied to it's source as well as its content so that folks could properly evaluate the sources of its variance. To partition the sources of variation among observations into those which are are assoicated with the object observed and those which are associated with the POV of the observor constitutes the crux of the scientific methods (in my view) and what makes science a more reliable guide to truth than other approaches such as taste, tradition and other POV laden (ie subjective rather than objective) approaches. Suppose contributers were categorized by education, age sex religion, nationality and location of residences -- and suppose we could sort the information we were seeking according to who provided it according to these criteria. Might this be helpful? And what if we were to find that information does not vary as a function of these criteria (which after all can be lied about in any case) but does vary as a function of some more objective criteria such as what pre-existing (already published) sources from which it was gathered? Might this suggest that what we need is not some committess making up new summaries of existing information but merely some more efficient computer assisted way of sorting through existing information summaries (long and short, complex and simple) that provide a particular user with the particular kind of search he or she is seeking through the world wide web of information that already exists.

Well I guess all of this is just my long winded way of saying I agree that it would be helpful to be able to sort information by both content and source. We are interested not only in what is being point to but also from where it is being pointed from. The only way we can understand a topic apart from its context is to understand the context as well as the object. Intrepretation is just as much a leading or formulating apsect of representation as it is a concluding or analytical aspect. All objects are embedded in an interpretive context. Interpretation is the passing of an object's meaning from one context to the next. What we perceive surely depends in part upon what is there to be seen, but what is there in front of us equally depends in part upon where we are standing. The true or essential quality of an obect is that which constitutes the object independent of its spatial temporal location. The essential quality of a location is what it brings to an event independent of whatever object occurs there. Such is also the case with objects and POVs. If in fact there even are such essential qualities of either objects or locations as is commonly taken to be the case.

Just some questions stirred up for me by your interesting discussion. And writing this (with a more than usual consciousness of the source and purpose of what I'm writing) makes me want to add that I know I'm partly just rambling and that this is not expert information or even particularly well organizied or usefull information for some purposes -- but also that on the other hand it is part of a a communal ramble and pondering whose goal is closer to the fomulation of the question than the answering of it. Getting clear as to the nature of our puzzlement before we jump ahead to the matter of removing our specific doubts as the best course of action. What do we want from an encyclopedia and from experts -- that is my question. And are experts and standard enclyopedias the best source of what we want from either? All said with great admiration for those actually doing the difficult and creative work of thinking through and developing such tools -- Including of course both Larry, Steven and others.

An after thought -- what makes scientific information more reliable and valid than so called mere popular opinion is that scientific information is based upon a representative sample of observations (with data as to their source) whereas popular opinion or even expert opinion is not necessarily based upon such representative sampling of all POV. The reason data as to source of the observations is important is because this allows for determination of the representativeness of the sample and allows for further testing and expansion of this sampling . The issue is not merely the transparency of the data or whether it has been manipulated or lied bout -- this can happen among scientists as well as experts and the general public. Indeed, IMHO, lieing occurs more often among so called experts and other "authorities" than among the general public. Far less often among contributers from the general public to Wekipedia than from contributions from various so called authorieties. And from what I've experienced Wekipedia is often more accurate and useful than so called more authoritative encyclopedias that routinely grossly distort political and social information without even an acknowledgement and perhaps awareness of the possibility that they might be doing so. The spotlight of attention regarding bias is perhaps Wikipedias greatest virtue -- it knows its limitations. An sincere acknowledgment of one's limits is far more valueable than false modesty about fallibity while one comits gross blunders. Who on the TV millionaire quiz show would choose to call an all purpose expert (even one they know well) when they can poll the anonymous audience. So yes, know the source -- but the issue is getting a representative sample of POVs --not that some, many or perhaps even most authorities are notorious liars and propagandists. That we are all lieing to one degree or another most of the time is, I thought, the one small concession to the truth that we all made. So what we seek is representative scientific sampling of the data obtained from mulitple points of view -- whether we are sampling the data directly or indirectly by sampling the knowledge of experts.

Ultimately what authorizes a so called authority as an accepted authority is the effectiveness of the so called authority (in the hearts and minds of those who take it as such) in accomplishing what it purports to accomplish. We act upon what we believe. What we merely suppose or perceive but do not yet act upon is apparently what we do not quite yet believe. And what we say, I suspect, is some strange waystation between thought and action designed to persuade, recruit and sometimes at least delay if not outright deceive both ourselves and others as we engage in that communal experience of being a part of the human organism we call society. And thought -- thought, I imagine, is what societies do. Strickly a group activity not to be confused with the private individual stirrings we mistake for it. Or so it all seems to me just now ...

Best wishes,
Jim Piat