Gary:

Sorry for the confusion of the ten classes with the ten trichotomies.  I didn't read your message carefully enough.  I have no problem with that and there is no need to respond further to it.

Joe
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:51 AM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: Sinsign, Legisign, Qualisign

Joe,

By now you've read my corrected and completed post so that I hope some of what you asked is addressed in that corrected post. Just a point or so more for now. You wrote:
Would you mind reposting the diagram you refer to below?
It is my trikonic diagram of the 10 classes of signs which you find as an attached gif and, hopefully, at the bottom of the message. Ben has produced various versions of this, the last one includes his abduction that relates Robert's lattice structure to my trikonic one.
I don't recall
what was said about that at that time but I think it important to get clear
on what can and cannot legitimately be imputed to Peirce, and the absence of
availability of the relevant MS material is important to bear in mind and I
don't recall if that was sufficiently stressed at that time.
I agree. My suggestion has been that the diagram  at CP 2.264 and  the one at EP2:491 are equivalent diagrams (there's much more to be said here regarding some of my reservations, but suffice it to say for now that they are related precisely to the ones you just expressed).

That Peirce apparently included this triangular on the back of a letter which included a very tentative presentation of his very different 10 trichotomies of signs has I think resulted in confusing that discussion (EP 483-490) with the diagram in the Essential Peirce which is not as I see it of the 10 trichotomies discussed in the letter, but rather of the famous and completed 10 classes (the diagram is labeled "Signs Divided into Ten Classes" not into 10 categories).

I do not see how the diagram in EP2 would have the variety of numberings which they have since they are all "static" parameters (in Ben's & my sense). Three of them are used to generate the completed diagram of the 10 classes, the 9 parameters recently discussed, and the placement of these in the EP2 diagram strongly suggests that the diagram does not concern these plus 7 additional ones (relating to the two forms of the object and the three of the interpretant). The nonadic group does not requite categorial numbering because those parameters are not embodied. Again, I would hope that diagram observation would make this clear enough.

On the other hand, and for the reasons you've recently given, except for my own "guess" at the structure of the later 10 trichotomies (which Ben has put into an attractive form), I have not spent much time on the unfinished, problematic 10 trichotomies, while I have found the finished classification  most helpful in semeiotic analyses, and not just at the level of semeiotic grammar, but in critic and methodeutic as well.

Best,

Gary
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.