Jerry, Gary, list,

> A number of recent posts have addressed the topics of:

>>On Jun 19, 2006, at 1:05 AM, Peirce Discussion Forum digest wrote:
>> Re: Sinsign, Legisign, Qualisign

> I am seeking help in understanding the importance of these terms to
> individual scholars.
> The definitions are reasonably clear, at least to me.
> At issue is the question of why are these terms important to understanding
> human communication.

To Peirce, logical process = representational process, and is not a
specifically human or intelligent-life phenomenon, a chapter in the books of
psychology, sociology, history, even if these books covered reasoning creatures
other than homo sapiens which is the only clear example of which we know (SETI
hasn't found ET, at least not yet).

Instead, to Peirce, humans are a special logical phenomenon -- he might assent
to a current phrase like "logic processors" though not in the computer sense
(deductive, with strict algorithms, etc.). For my part, I would say that
"logicality" is general like statisticality or (in the information-theoretic
sense) information.

So these terms (signsign, legisign, qualisign) are important in understanding
the logical possibilities which human communication tends to actualize. IMHO
the importance is not so very different from the importance of aerodynamics to
the evolution and anatomy of winged insects, pterosaurs, birds, bats, flying
organisms generally. But I think that a more exact analogy would be the
relationship of probability, statistics, and, as a general mathematical &
statistical subject, stochastic processes, to matter.

In the Peircean system, terms like qualisign/sinsign/legisign are also
important, or regarded as destined to be important, in understanding the
possibilities realized in metaphysics -- questions of ontology, questions of
God, freedom, immortality, and (philosophical) questions of space, time,
matter, etc. This is implicit in Peirce's classification of logic as a field
which does not presuppose metaphysics but which is presupposed by metaphyiscs.

> The appending of three unusual prefixes to the concept of a "sign" is clearly
> a creative use of language.
> The apparent (mechanical) objective is to form three new categories as
> derivatives of the parent word, sign.
> Could one imagine other prefixes  to the word sign?

Peirce imagined quite a few other prefixes to the word sign. But presumably you
mean such as to make a semantic distinction, not merely a morphological
improvement.

> Could one imagine more than three other prefixes?

Your question would be helpfully clarified if you stated it directly instead of
morphologically. Obviously one can imagine, so to speak, many more classes of
signs, and Peirce certainly did. Can one imagine a classification into a
4-chotomy of signs? Of course one can, but, for better or worse, it would be
unPeircean. Triadism is built deeply into Peirce's semiotic.

> How is this context important in distinguishing among paths of usages?

It's a way of distinguishing between specific occurrences of signs, the
appearances of signs, and the general "meaning" or habitual 'conventional'
interpretation of a sign. (The symbol's interpretant, in being an inferential
outcome, usually goes beyond such conventional significations.) For many
practical and theoretical purposes, English "horse" and Spanish _caballo_ are
the same legisign.  "Horse" and _caballo_ won't be regarded as the same
qualisign (except by those for whom all human words are indistinguishably the
same qualisign). "Horse" and _caballo_ won't be regarded as ever being the same
sinsign (except by those for whom pretty much all human occurrences are one
single undecomposable occurrence).

> What other terms might be substituted for these terms?

Peirce himself offered, at various times, at least three sets of words for the
same trichotomy of logical terms:

Tone, token, type.
Qualisign, sinsign, legisign.
Potisign, actisign, famisign.

One might call them:
a quality-as-a-sign, a singular-as-a-sign, and a general-as-a-sign.

He at least mentioned other words as candidates as well.

> Do these terms impact the concept of a grammar?

It depends on the grammar. If this were some other forum, your conception of
"grammar" might be implicitly understood and accepted. Here, in a philosophical
forum which happens to be a crossroads of many specialties and traditions, you
need to define it and state the context and tradition from which you are
drawing your sense of the word, in order to make yourself widely understood.

> Is this ad hoc extension of the concept of sign desirable for mathematics?
> How does it contribute to the mathematical usages of signs?

You specified neither the "hoc" nor the basal concept of which you characterize
Peirce's terms as an extension. I guess everybody likes to think of his or her
concept as the genus and of the other forms of the concept as the
specializations.  But you haven't said what your concept is, so there's no way
to judge the plausibility of your characterization of it as an ad hoc extension.

Peirce would probably argue that semiotic is desirable for philosophy about
mathematics. His classification of semiotic (aka logic aka sign studies) as
part of philosophy is his statement that semiotic presupposes mathematics and
that mathematics does not presuppose semiotic.

Nobody actively participating on peirce-l has self-identified as a
mathematician, but perhaps some peirce-lister could say whether any
mathematician has commented on the possibilities of the
qualisign/sinsign/legisign conception's contributing to mathematical usages of
signs. Maybe somebody could say whether Peirce himself said anything on the
subject.

> Is it desire to bring the concept of 'many' into the concept of 'sign' in
> this manner?  Why?

I'm not sure what you mean by "to bring the concept of 'many' into the concept
of 'sign' in this matter." However, in a general way, the Peircean answer is
that logic is semiotic and is more basic than metaphysics. Peirce defined and
pursued semiotic as a philosophical field, not as a field in linguistics, which
is concerned with language as a concrete historical phenomenon involved
especially with _homo sapiens_ and as may turn out to be involved with
intelligent life elsewhere than Earth, and as may become involved with such
intelligent life as _homo sapiens_ or its heirs eventually breed or engineer.

Best,
Ben Udell