To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2006 2:40 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: The "composite photograph" metaphor

Jim, List:
I cannot accept the notions "direct acquaintance" or "direct experience" if
those terms mean "unmediated," or generally assume a human sensory system
that is isomorphic with the universe as it exists independently of any
observer.

Electro-chemical events in the system must follow their own system rules.
That is not to say human sensory experience is not veridical. It obviously
is, or we would have perished.  But isomorphism is no more necessary to
veridicality than it is to the analogical relationships between mathematical
formulae and the physical world.

The most direct experience we have, and it seems to me Peirce supports this contention, is a strong affective state. For the baby, it's a hunger pang,
a physical hurt, or more happily, being fed or swaddled.  What is felt is
all there is; stimulus and response are essentially unitive.  It takes
awhile for a child to learn to mediate between that systemic relevance and
the identity that is commonly called "objective."  Developmental
psychologists have commented upon the beginnings of perception in relevance.
For example:  an urban infant commonly sleeps through all sorts of traffic
noises--sirens, crashes, horns, etc., but wakes up when mother enters the
room.  And relevance continues to direct us in our adult, everyday lives
where things and events have the identies and meanings of their personal
relevances--what we use them to do and how we feel about them.  The
wonderfully bright and sensitive colleague who stopped by our office to chat
yesterday is inconsiderate and intrinsically irritating today with his
endless yammering while we are trying to meet a paper deadline.

There is some physiological evidence that meaning precedes perception--i.e.,
that the relevance of a sensory response is responded to in the brain's
cortex before differentiation of the stimulus identity. Contrary to
experience, we've been brought up and educated to believe we perceive and
identify the object and then have responses--which, if it were so, would
have promptly ended evolution for any species so afflicted.  You couldn't
dodge the predator's charge until after you'd named the predator, the attack
and what to do.

For most of our lives, the subject-object relationship analysis only enters
when things go wrong, when the ride breaks down and we have to get off to
fix it. The rest of the time the perceptual information/data that we treat
as "objective" is submerged in our comparatively "mindless" states of
feeling and doing. We write or type instead of moving our fingers and hands to produce selected results. We drive three quarters of the way to work and
"wake up" to realize we've no memory of the prior two miles.  Or we come
home angered by someone at work and yell at spouses and kids.

That's the everyday world we live in, and in that world the organic unity of
the sensory system means responses to environmental impingments
(exteroception) are inherently conditioned by what we are feeling and
doing--by interoception and proprioception.

I understand this primary level of information processing to be essentially
what Peirce means by "firstness."  I don't think we can get to secondness
until there can be some degree of separation in the so-called subjective and
objective elements of experience can be separated.  We may discover,
contrary to our desires, alas, we cannot eat rocks without the pain. But it
is only in thirdness that we can represent experience to ourselves and
ultimately through communication work out an objective social reality.  It
is in thirdness, a secondary level of information processing, that we
mediate between objective reality and how we feel about it.  It is this
secondary level of information processing that we (sometimes) fix the wagon
when the wheels come off.  Other times we may just kick and brutalize the
damnably perverse inanimate object.

I'd be delighted to have any errors pointed out in my application of Peirce.
Cheers,
Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Piat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>