Gary, Joe, Kirsti, list,

> Personally i think the contradiction is more apparent than flat. As i
> said (and i think Kirsti said the same), this is not circulum vitiosum
> but a pattern which underlies inquiry and therefore can only be itself
> investigated via a cyclical process.

I have to agree. The more I read of Peirce, the more I see loops of reasoning -
loops, networks, call it what you will. In fact it only seems to jive with his
thinking, especially showing itself when he gets knee-deep in relative logic.
The circle has less to do with circular reasoning than with being able to
define even the simplest conceptions via the logic of relations (5.207).

A bit like the hermeneutic circle of Heidegger - the structure of meaning, and
of Dasein itself, looping back on itself and forming a system (H. 153 of Being
and Time). So far as I know, Heidegger never read Peirce, but they seem to be
touching on the same thing.

Circles in reasoning must be demonstrated to be truly vicious; I'm not
convinced that this one is.

best,
jacob

-------- Original-Nachricht --------