It's just a typing error for "1869".  But as regards the question, it is reasonable to suppose that James was influenced by that article even if there is no evidence other than the evidence for him having read it, provided there is something in it which suggests this.  It was during a period in which James would have been susceptible to such an influence (e.g. the metaphysical club was formed in l871).

Joe Ransdell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----
From: Jorge Lurac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Peirce Discussion Forum <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2006 5:19:59 AM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: Peirce-James question

Are you sure? James died August 26, 1910.

J. Lurac
_________

You wrote:

I've been away from the list a while and don't know whether this has been discussed before.  Perhaps you can help me. I've been concerned with James lately, particularly his comment about Peirce's essay which he found in "comprehensible," despite Peirce's "vocal elucidations," but which "interested me [James] strangely." Despite Peirce's "crabbed" writing, I think James studied the printed essay later and figured it out. I also think - but want some confirmation - that  parts of that "strangely interesting" essay influenced James' with respect to the will to believe and with respect to risk. This is not to say that Peirce would have agreed with what James made of Peirce's essay. The essay which James alluded to, in his letter to Bowditch, seems to have been, "The Grounds of Validity of the Laws of Logic," written in 1969.