Fully chastened by Marx's warning that those who try to explain interest
rates according to some necessitous law are engaging in "mysticism &
pedantry," I'll take a shot here. Interest rates rise and fall for
"economic" reasons, like changes in the demand for and supply of loanable
funds or liquidity, but also for political ones, too. The overall
political influence on interest rates is the expansion of, or in tough
times, the preservation of, rentier wealth. In the late 70s-early 80s,
that goal was served by tight money and high rates; in the deflationary
environment of the late 80s-early 90s, it was served by low rates. In both
cases, the coupon-clippers' bacon was saved.

Doug

Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer
212-874-4020 (voice)