What is one to make of Keynes's introduction to the German edition of
THE GENERAL THEORY dated 7 September, 1936? "This is one of the reasons which
justify calling my theory a GENERAL theory.  Since it is based on less
narrow assumptions than the orthodox theory, it is also more easily
adapted to a large area of different circumstances.  Although I have
thus worked it out having the conditions in the
Anglo-Saxon countries in view - where a great deal of laissez-faire
still prevails - it yet remains applicable to situations in which
national leadership is more pronounced." Keynes also expects his
German readers will be "thirsty" for his ideas, which will show them
what they have been doing successfully for the past three years.
Lynn Turgeon [EMAIL PROTECTED]