Treacy: I am going to take a position that is going to get me flacked on
this but someone should try and step up to reality.  Having grown up as
the oldest of eight children in a poor family, I must say that a lot of
what I see going on these days in child care problems stems from very
poor choices by parents for things!

As a kid I felt deprived because our clothes were always handmedowns, our
Christmas presents were always second hand books, we got taken to the free
Bronx Park Zoo rather than go to the movies which cost money, etc. My
mother was always at home.  We were always watched over, chided, whacked,
fed but never neglected.  Pop worked his ass off.  Sometimes two or three
jobs at once. No days off. No vacations.  No trips to Disney land.

All of us turned out pretty well.  The American dream worked.  I now see
people buying into the consumer culture saying both parents need to work
so junior can get air jordens. The best care is that provided by parents
who play the do it your self game.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] COPYRIGHTED