In delayed response to Marsh's request, here are some bibliographical
notes to accompany my recent posting on discrimination in the credit
market.  I should note that UCR has had a transition to a new
computer system, so I was "off the net" from Saturday to this morning
(Wednesday).  If there was more responses to my request for info. on
discrimination, could someone please communicate privately with me?
Thanks in advance.  And now the references.

Cathy Cloud and George Galster, "What do we know about discrimination
in the housing market?" in the Summer 1993 Review of Black Political
Economy provides a good overview of the work on "Paired-testing" for
discrimination, as well as a guide to some of the redlining studies of
recent years.  The definitive paired-testing study is Yinger et al,
which Cloud and Galster cite.

Anne Shlay's "Fair share analysis" is discussed in "Financing Community:
Methods for assessing residential credit disparities" in Journal of Urban
Affairs, 11(3), 1989.  She's also done several studies of cities, notably
Chicago and Baltimore.  Anne is now at Temple Univ., in their Institute
of Public Policy.

Redlining studies -- those focusing on credit flows into neighborhoods --
are discussed in the first chapter in Greg. Squires' "From Redlining to
Reinvestment," a 1992 Temple Univ. Press book.  It is available cheap
from that press -- must be going out of print.

These same studies are reviewed, and also the newer "discrimination"
study of Boston, in Jim Campen's chapter in the book edited by Gerry
Epstein, Bob Pollin, and myself, "Transforming the U.S. Financial System",
1993 from M.E. Sharpe.  In print, and in paper.

Robert Bullard just co-edited a book with Eugene Grigsby and Charles Lee,
"Residential Apartheid:  The American Legacy," published in 1994 by
the Center for Afro-American Studies at UCLA.  Available in paper; ISBN
no. is 0-934934-43-6.  This book has essays by Joe Feagin, Chas. Darden,
Franklin James, Nancy Denton, and others on various aspects of residential
segregation.  It includes the short version of my study with Veitch of
LA redlining.

Lash and Urry are two British social theorists who combine aspects of
Golden Age / Regulationist analysis with Post Modern approaches to
meaning and culture.  Their new book (1994, I think) is "Economies of
Signs and Spaces."  Lash's first name is, I think, Scott.

Melvin Oliver has written some dynamite stuff on LA and its political/
economic transformation.  Not much on credit markets per se, but lots of
good integration of labor-market change, immigration, industrial shifts,
and so on.  He has a very nice essay in a book entitled "Reading Rodney
King/Reading Urban Uprising," edited by Robert Gooding-Williams, pub.
by Routledge 1993.

The work on credit markets by geographers that I mentioned has been
coming mostly from British social theorists.  Andrew Leyshon, Nigel
Thrift, and Jane Pollard have been leading lights.  Leyshon and Thrift
have a piece forthcoming in Transactions, which is the journal of
the Royal Society of British Geographers.  And later this year the
journal Environment and Planning-A will have a theme issue on "financial
exclusion" with papers by Leyshon and Thrift, Pollard, and Veitch and
I, among others.

Finally, my theoretical paper on credit-market discrimination and redlin-
ing will appear later this year in the Review of Black Political Economy.
Gary A. Dymski                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. Of Economics                          (909) 787-5037 ext 1570
University of California
Riverside, CA  92521  USA