Does anyone out there know if any cross-country studies
have been made of the correlations or lack of them between
levels of real wages and benefits <at PPP>, and levels
of unemployment?  I doubt if there is a correlation, but
has anything of interest been observed in this matter--
we hear so much from the right about the need to keep wage
levels "competitive" and reduce "costs".  This seems to have
been a big issue in the French presidential elections.  Well,
what are the facts? It also ties in to the discussion on this list about
what kind of challenge "globalization" represents for the left.
Doug Henwood may have said something about this in a recent
post, but I mislaid it--sorry if this is asking for the same
info.

Peter Burns SJ
[EMAIL PROTECTED]