Treacy: This is just another chapter in what I call the LEANING AND
        MEANING of America.  We have started to experience a lot of rapid
        change due to large drops in transportation costs along with cuts
        in information costs.  It has hit every sector in our society
        with varying degrees of impact causing a great deal of unease.

        We have seen the collapse of the EVIL EMPIRE, which could not
        hide the fact that the FSU( Former Soviet Union in World Bank
        speak) was going into the crapper.  George Bush got whacked by
        this because he thought the recession was caused by Saddam when it
        was just the market reacting to expectations about what was going
        to happen to Defense Spending.  He listened to the CIA who needed
        the evil empire!

        We have seen one industry after another, Steel, coal, autoes,
        restructure in the face of more competition and rapid acceptance
        of techologic change. This in turn has lead to questioning about
        lots of other U.S. INSTITUTIONS. On the leaning and meaning list
        are M.D.s and other medical care providers who had grown fat from
        feeding off the BIG TUNA programs.

        We have also in the era of more and cheaper information started
        to gain increased evidence that many of our educational
        institutions have not been doing the job they claimed to be doing.
        Witness the fact that a school district outside Pittsburg has
        hired a for profit firm to run one of their elementry schools.
        Wisconsin has a voucher law tied up in court but private sources
        have funded scholarships for ghetto kids in parocial schools.

        To suggest that our universities are bastions of efficiency in
        this mileau is not likely to win much public sympathy.  We have
        seen too many sections run by green, none English speaking G.A.s
        and administrative structures that have Asst. Deans writing memos
        to other Asst. Deans etc.  We also have failed to recognize the
        fact that computers have had great impacts on libraries and on
        secretarial staffs.

        I recently had a chat with my Dean who told me another department
        wanted another secretary.  The large number of scholarly papers
        was advanced as the reason for this need.  I laughed that our
        Department had twice the number of faculty who had turned out four
        times the number of papers with the same number of secretaries.
        The difference is that everyone uses a computer in our
        department, the local network, the wide area network. I told him
        that I would make an offer to supply some computers and an
        invitation to enter the 21 century to this chairman.

        Some places will restructure well and others will do it badly. I
        like being able to search our card catologue, the Journal of
        Economic Literture, and listing of all other state universities
        from this machine. To wring your hands and say any changes are
        bad is to invite righteous credulity from the tax payers.

        In time the cycle will swing back to one of optimism and crying
        Chicken Little wails of gloom and doom will not delay this process.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] COPYRIGHTED