On 8/30/95, Tom Walker posted the following:

>I have just heard the news on the radio that Japan's largest
>credit bank has collapsed. For the first time, the Japanese Government has
>been prepared not to prop up an incompetently run bank. So it is finally
>joining the ranks of other advanced nation governments which have decided
>that they cannot control their economies any longer.
>
>This is a cause for rejoicing, but also not a cause for rejoicing because
>the gloabl economy is poised on the edge of great danger. Almost all the
>other Japanese banks are bankrupt, too -- vastly so -- with huge debts
>caused by the property and inflation related madness which overtook many
>advanced countries some four or so years ago. Both Standard & Poor, and also
>Moodys give credit-ratings at about the Cs and Ds, far far below the credit
>ratings of US banks. Even bankrupt New York City, I believe, has a credit
>rating of BBB.
I knew that these bank's balance sheets were in trouble, but I had not heard
that they were actually starting to declare bankruptcy.  Does anyone (Doug H?)
have any info on what is actually happening?  I will start teaching my Fall
money and banking course in a week, and would like to be up on this.

Thanks,
Doug Orr
[EMAIL PROTECTED]