On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, Paul Zarembka wrote:

> Friends and comrades:
>
> I received the request below from a colleague in our Women's Studies
> program here who teaches a course in American pluralism.  I wonder what
> suggestions you may for her and thus our students.  Thanks,
>
> Paul Zarembka, SUNY at Buffalo

Since it's Friday and approaching time for a bit of r&r . . .

If issues of race and the heritage of slavery come into play and you want
something well written and really readable (but it's fiction), try Kindred by
Octavia Butler.  I've lent my copy to two people lately (one 13 and 53),
and neither could put it down.

Still on fiction, try some Ursula LeGuin, such as The Dispossessed or
Marge Piercy, Woman on the Edge of Time.  The former juxtaposes two
societies: on capitalist.  The latter makes intersting points about who
has power and what gets criminalized based on who has power.

If you want nonfiction and want to see a powerful force contributing to
powerlessness, try Martin Leavitt, Confessions of a Union Buster.

elln