Mike P. is right about unemployment and poverty and its impact on
families.  My point was in fact that it is hard to get our analyses
heard.  The point about poverty and families is similar to our
(undoubtedly correct) analysis of the relationship of poverty and
crime.  But this fails to address the widespread fear of crime now.
We don't have a position on what to do about crime now and maybe we
in fact shouldn't have a position on this as there are no effective
short run solutions.  My larger point was that just  because an issue has
populist appeal, this does not mean that any proposed solution,
reasonable or otherwise, can tap into this populist appeal.

Terry McDonough