Bill,

        Noam Chomsky had a recent article in Z magazine on the peace
process which has references (I believe to some of his and other's work
in this area in which he has been very involved.  He is very critical of
Israel and the U.S. - perhaps more than I might be as a "Holocast
Zionist" myself - but I trust his integrity as to the facts.
        I hate to get into this but I think it is useful to note that the
radical islamicists in their insistance that non-moslem minorities
do not belong in the Middle East (even though many were there well before
them) are imperialists and racists themselves.  Of course this is not to
say that Zionism as a national movement is not in conflict with the
aspirations of the palestinians and does not use support from powerful
imperialist allies such as the U.S. to sustain its persecution and
repression of
palestianians just as the Arab states (who have also persecuted the
Palestinians) have used oil diplomacy to sustain their agenda.
A friend characterized the middle east as "an historical tragedy" with no
just solution.  Many Jews litterly had no where to go during  WWII
so they colonized palestine pushing out palestinians who have also not
been allowed to freely settle elsewhere....

        I hope this has been helpful -

        In Solidarity,

        Ron Baiman
        Dept. of Economics