Eric writes

> Is the claim that the whole is greater than the parts really
> necessary for a structuralist perspective? Is this claim just
> the relic of some past attempt to defuse counterattacks
> from methodological individualists? Does this claim implicit
> recognize the claims of meth-ins?

Like everybody else I'm just groping here as well.  It is only Eric's
questions which have recently prompted this train of thought.
Suppose we grant that on some level anyway the whole is not more than
the sum of its parts.  How do we avoid a reductionist explanation,
that is reducing the explanation of the whole to the aggregation of
the explained parts?  It strikes me that recent discussions within
the hard sciences of the problem of reductionism can throw some light
on this question.  The argument here if I understand it correctly is
that the interaction of basic elements produces complex systems.
These systems while composed of the constituent parts manifest
properties which are not predictable from a knowledge of the
properties of the parts or are not usefully described solely in terms
of the properties of the constituent parts.  Thus the increasing
sophistication of particle physics does not obviate the need for a
separate science of chemistry.  The most intuitive example is perhaps
life.  While nothing life 'does' violates the rules of chemistry,
life exhibits properties which demand the elaboration of the science
of biology to explain them.  Thus life is composed of chemical
interactions, but most of these chemical interactions are irrelevant
to the understanding of much of evolution for instance.  Nor would the
understanding of chemistry predict the existence of evolution.
Thus while the whole is not physically more than its constituent
parts, its dynamic behaviour cannot be explained in terms of the
constituent parts or even in terms of a dialectic between the whole
and the parts.  Indeed the intersection of the whole (a life form)
with the parts (chemical interactions) throws up an intermediate
science of biochemistry.  But life is not reducible to biochemistry
either and biology remains a separate science.  It seems to me it
might be fruitful to look at the agency structure problem which Eric
poses in an analogous way.  Social structures are not in any mystical
sense more than the sum  of the human interactions that compose them.
Nevertheless social structures like life are an emergent phenomena.
They are composed of individual human interactions but the
explanation of their dynamic and development cannot be reduced to an
understanding of individual human interactions.  As complex phenomena
they manifest their own emergent properties which differ from the
properties of the constituent parts.  Structures can be explained in
terms of their own emergent properties without reference (or much
reference) to the properties of the constituent parts.  Nobody thinks
you need to refer to partical physics to explain evolution even
though life the universe and everything is composed of elementary
particles.  One can imagine a science which seeks to understand the
intersection between the individual (psychology) and history
(historical materialism) but the insights of such a science would not
necessarily alter the basic understandings of its two flanking
sciences (though it might).

Virtually thinking out loud.

Terry McDonough