Eugene Coyle wrote:

stuff deleted

>       What I think this "giving choice in personally investing money"
> is really about is dividing the public.  Those who make lucky
> investments -- or shrewd ones -- will, like those who still have jobs,
> feel that they have "earned" what they have, and those who don't make
> investments that pay well have only themselves to blame.
>       This is divisive.

I agree 100% with what Gene just said (and also with myself!) --- I would
like to refer folks to a piece by Dick DuBoff in a recent issue of MR where
he chastizes Radicals for forgetting the "anti-capitalist" kernal in the
development of Social Security as "social insurance."  Social security is
not, from his perspective (which he argues ought to BE the radical
perspective) a program to redistribute income --- it's a program of social
solidarity.  WE are ALL responsible for EACH OTHER --- we all work; we all
are ENTITLED to a decent retirement BECAUSE we work --- we are ENTITLED to
survivors insurance; we are ENTITLED to disability insurance; we are
ENTITLED to health insurance [but we only get it once we're retired].  That
is the social compact entailed in the social security act.  Even something
as trivial as TAXING "Rockefeller's social security pension" begins the
process of dividing up the folks into those "really entitled" to social
security and those who aren't.  I've made that mistake myself -=-- arguing
that there was nothing wrong with taxing SS benefits --- Check out DuBoff's
piece for more details of the argument why social security must be preserved
as a model of SOCIAL INSURANCE that needs to be expanded rather than have it
become similar to all other income redistribution programs where the
recipients should be scrutinized to see if they "really deserve/need it" so
as to reduce the "burden" on the rest of us.

Divide and conquer has worked lots of times ---- sometimes it doesn't... we
have to figure out a way to combat the unbelievably successful dividing
that's been done to the US population since the last high tide of
solidarity, the 1930s and 40s!

Hopefully, Mike

Taxing social security benefits hurts all of

--
Mike Meeropol
Economics Department