I have found Alaska airlines to be the most comfortable that I had
experienced.  I don't get the impression that they are cutting corners.  That
doesn't mean they're not -- only that is far too obvious with some of the
others.

One of the major corners has been the treatment of airline mechanics,
especially with the contracting out of some work.  I am surprised that far more
accidents do not happen.