> Does anyone have any good figures on the farm population of
> the United States? How many "small farmers" are left -- not
> counting those whose primary family income is from regular
> off-farm employment. Also, I'm not sure how to define "small
> farmer." Does this category add up to a politically significant
> sector of the population any longer?
> Carrol

About 90% of US farms are classified as "individual operations"
averaging about 362 acres.  Average "corporate" farm acreage is
about 1700 acres, "partnership" farms average about 850 acres.
Less than 1% of US farms employ more than 500 workers. Largest
30% of US farms produce about 90% of all farm products but only
about 3% have sales over $500,000/yr.  While most mid-west farmers
continue to own their farm land, most southern farmers rent land
from non-farming landowners.  'Family farmers' make up less than 8
% of rural US population.

About 2/3rds of family income from "individual operations' comes
from off-farm sources as most "individual operations" make about
$5,000/yr. from farming.  Cooperative option is no longer as
viable as in past (I read recently that number of ag-coops declined
by 1/2 in last few years).  Few 'families' still making go of it
are larger acreage farmers who have managed to enter into
contracting arrangements with agri-business.  But even that is
becoming a problem: dairy farmers, for example, who used to be
able contract with 100 cows are now being shut out in favor of
larger operations (500 is rapidly becoming norm).  An increase
in 200 cows requires $1M capital investment.

There were more than 55,000 farms in Florida at mid-20th century.
By 1990s, number was about 16,0000 and about 80% of them were
categorized as part-time.  There were about 7500 black farm
operators in Florida at mid-20th century, there were fewer than
1000 by 1990s.  In addition to historical discrimination that
black farmers experienced at hands of financial & government
institutions, agricultural mechanization did not favor small-
landholdings.  At mid-20th century, black owned farms in state
had averaged 45 acres compared to 120 for white owned farms.

'Farm' organizations are powerful lobbies, particularly Farm
Bureau Federation (almost 5 million members) that sides with
agribusiness and owners of large farms.  National Farm Union
(about 300,000 members) promotes interests of smaller family
farms as does National Grange (also has about 300,000 members).
National Farmers Organization and American Agricultural Movement
are smaller groups that speak out primarily on issues affecting
small farmers and ranchers.    Michael Hoover