See
See Sigmund Diamond's "Compromised Campus" for a bit on Bundy's role in
red-baiting at Harvard...I forget the details, but it was bad, had to
do with permitting government spies in while he was Dean to put
together files on professors..

Bundy also, as the NYT did not mention, was a principal architect of
the Hiroshiman myth, in his work helping ghost Stimson's definitive
Harper's article of 1947 on why the bomb was dropped--the Official
Version which literally invented the notion of "a million casualties" saved
by dropping the bomb. See Gar Alperovitz, "The Decision to Use the
Atomic Bomb", pp.448-471 for details.

Jime Hershbergs' biography of James Conant (1994) covers the same
ground as well as the whole question of red-baiting at Harvard both
before and after the war.

Historian Kai Bird is writing a critical bio of the Bundy
family--William, Harvey, , McGeorge, whiich is sure to do plenty to
contradict Schlesinger's shameful quote in the Times re Bundy as a man
of "integrity".

Thad Williamson