             The Internet Anti-Fascist: Tuesday, 31 March 2000
                         Vol. 4, Number 28 (#409)

CONTENTS
More On the Psychodynamics of Rightwing Authoritarianism
   tallpaul, "The Unkindest Cut of All: More On What Really Motivates the
      Defender of 'White Culture'?"
Web Sites of Interest
   7 cites on Nazis and the Holocaust
More On Mattel and the Issue of Online Censorship
   Declan McCullagh (Wired News), "Mattel Suit Takes GNU Twist," 28 Mar 00
   Robert Lemos (ZDNet News), "ACLU slams Cyber Patrol tactics," 24 May 00
Rightwing Quote of the Week
What's Worth Checking: 10 stories

MORE ON THE PSYCHODYNAMICS OF RIGHTWING AUTHORITARIANISM

The Unkindest Cut of All:
More On What Really Motivates the Defender of "White Culture?"

What can we make of Randal H. Mason's post to a white-power Usenet news
group containing a forged news article form the Houston Chronicle on Black
women castrating white men? Both Mason's original post and the Houston
Chronicle's response are included below.

The Mason forgery is an excellent example of how Usenet serves as a
repository of material similar to folklore and mythology and how, by
examining this material using classical psychoanalytic methods, we can gain
greater insight into the psychological dynamics behind different political
tendencies.

Earlier[1] I published hard data on the use of sexualized language found in
Usenet posts by rightwing authoritarians, with particular emphasis on
language reflecting phallic narcissism and aggression.

Intense phallic aggression should result from two fears, lead to two fears,
or both.

The first fear is that the aggressor will be aggressed upon by others in
the same aggressive manner. The normal unconscious manifestation of this
would be a strong fear of anal rape. The second fear is that the aggressor
will be aggressed on in a manner to prevent him from engaging in future
aggressions. In classical psychoanalytic theory this would be a fear of
castration.

The two develop as reaction formations against fears or as fears
manifesting guilt over aggression.

In the former case, the dynamic would be something like "I fear being
victimized so I will become the oppressor." The second fear is "I aggress
upon then so I fear they will aggress against me."

At a deeper level of interpretation, the dynamic would be "I fear
castration/rape therefore I will be the castrator/rapist" and "I try to
castrate and rape them so they try to castrate and rape me."

The homophobia associated with the rightwing authoritarian can also develop
in a two-fold manner.

The reversal of initial fears can lead to anxiety over aggressive but
unconscious homosexual wishes. This is obvious in the reactive desire "I
will rape them before they can rape me" immediately leading to "I am not
the homosexual; they are." One first has the fear of homosexual
victimization, then the defense against this fear, and then a defense
against the active homosexual ideation in the first defense.

This is similar to the threefold unconscious dynamic Freud described for
paranoia: I love him; I hate him; he hates me.

A similar dynamic develops on a psychological level closer to the fully
conscious mind, reflecting various cultural identities and fears.

The weak are targets so the person who fears aggression must not appear
weak. He must appear "the manly man," he must not be the "sissy" or the
"wimp." To appear so is to invite the very aggression feared. He must stave
off aggression by being visibly more aggressive than any possible
opponents. Equally, the "sissification" of his opponents serves to convince
himself that they are not dangerous.

Yet the unconscious fears repeatedly slip out. In certain cases the
rightwing authoritarian is so obsessed that everyone around him is
homosexual or that every opponent he faces represents the homosexual
conspiracy. Or, as with the forged post below, the fantasies that break
forth into the real world are of people out to -- in the most literal
Freudian fashion -- castrate them.

FOOTNOTE

[1] "What Really Motivates the Defender of 'White Culture'? An initial
exploration via a new net-based psychoanalytic methodology," TINAF Vol. 3,
Number 99 (#363), Friday, 3 December 1999

WEB SITES OF INTEREST:

"An Interim Report to Congress" Required By the Implementation of the Nazi
    War Crimes Disclosure Act (P.L. 105-246)
<http://www.nara.gov/iwg/report.html>

Law and the Holocaust: Biddle Law Library
<http://www.law.upenn.edu/bll/holocaust/holocaust.htm>

The Holocaust -- Lecture Notes and Study Guide: U. of Arizona
<http://www.law.upenn.edu/bll/holocaust/holocaust.htm>

Literature On the Holocaust: maintained by Al Filreis
<http://www.english.upenn.edu/%7Eafilreis/Holocaust/holhome.html>

Ghetto Fighters' House -- Holocaust and Jewish Resistance Heritage Museum
<http://www.gfh.org.il/>

Holocaust Internet Sites: N. Harris College Learning Resource Center
<http://www.nhmccd.cc.tx.us/contracts/lrc/kc/holocaust-internet.html>

Women and the Holocaust
<http://www.interlog.com/~mighty/>

MORE ON MATTEL AND THE ISSUE OF ONLINE CENSORSHIP

Mattel Suit Takes GNU Twist
Declan McCullagh (Wired News)
28 Mar 00

BOSTON -- Mattel's claim of victory Monday in a lawsuit over its
Cyberpatrol filtering software may be premature.

The toy giant said during a court hearing here that it had acquired
intellectual property rights to a program that reveals Cyberpatrol's
secret list of off-limits websites and settled the case. Mattel said it
planned to use its new copyright in court to ban Internet copying of the
"cphack" utility.

But cphack's authors released it under the GNU General Public License,
which appears to permit unlimited distribution of the original cphack
program, even if Mattel now owns the copyright.

"Once you do that you can't revoke it," said Bennett Haselton of
Peacefire, a group opposed to filtering software that temporarily put
up its own cphack mirror site.

The Free Software Foundation's GPL agreement says that "the recipient
automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy,
distribute or modify the program."

Translation: A copyright holder can't change his mind.

"GPL is software that cannot be revoked," said Eben Moglen, a law
professor at Columbia University and FSF general counsel. "Anyone
downstream who possesses a copy of the software may redistribute it.

"It's a very amusing case," Moglen said. "If people are going to
respond to free software they don't like by trying to wipe it out,
they're in for some real trouble."

A spokeswoman for Mattel reached late Monday said she didn't know what
the effect of the GPL would be.

But she said cphack authors Eddy Jansson and Matthew Skala had signed a
contract with Mattel and if there was any deception, "they'd be in big
trouble."

- - - - -

ACLU slams Cyber Patrol tactics
Robert Lemos (ZDNet News)
24 May 00

The American Civil Liberties Union criticized Internet filtering software
maker Microsystems Software Inc. and its parent company Mattel Inc. on
Friday for attempting to limit free speech on the Internet.

The civil rights group's charges stem, not from the Mattel lawsuit accusing
two international hackers with violating the copyright agreement of its
Cyber Patrol software, but with the tactics of Mattel's lawyers in pursuing
a temporary restraining order in the case.

"The problem is that (Cyber Patrol and Mattel) are censoring free speech,"
said Chris Hansen, senior staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties
Union. "They served a host of ISPs (Internet service providers) and Web
sites with the subpoena."

The subpoenas -- which were sent out by e-mail last Saturday -- attempt to
stop the distribution of two utilities: One which lets children turn off
the Cyber Patrol's filtering, and the other which allows users to look at
the complete list of filtered sites.

"They've sent out spammed copies to try and get ISPs to take down the sites
that are hosting the software," said Hansen, who added that many ISPs will
do so because they believe it's not their fight. "We have decided it is our
fight," he said.

ACLU steps in The ACLU announced on Friday that the organization's
attorneys would be representing three U.S. Web site operators who posted
copies of the programs and have been subpoenaed by attorneys for Mattel and
Microsystems. A week ago, U.S. District judge Edward F. Harrington granted
Mattel a temporary restraining order, prohibiting the publishing of the
programs on the U.S. Internet.

The three Web operators -- Waldo Jaquith of waldo.net, Lindsay Haisley of
fmp.com and Bennet Hasleton of peacefire.org -- were subpoenaed along with
two dozen others because they posted the programs, or linked to a site
which had done so, on the Internet.

The programs -- called cphack.exe and CP4break.zip -- have been "mirrored"
on a large number of Web sites following Mattel's civil suit filed against
the hackers Eddy L.O. Jansson of Sweden and Matthew Skala of Canada.

The next phase in the case will begin Monday, when Mattel will try to win a
preliminary injunction against the hackers and their supporters, further
prohibiting the posting of the programs on the Internet. The ACLU intends
to argue that its clients should not be included in the case.

Irwin Schwartz, a partner with Schwartz and Nystrom LLC., which is
representing Mattel, stressed that the main case has little to do with free
speech.

'No first amendment issues here' "There is no first amendment issue here,"
he said. "The first thing is that this has nothing to do with government
censorship."

Pamela Samuelson, professor at the School of Information Management and
Systems, University of California at Berkeley, disagreed.

"I think that the people who wrote it were not doing it to steal but to
engage in study and analysis and developing a non-infringing program," she
said. "Learning something that Mattel and others would rather they didn't
learn."

While the issue will be fought in the courts, Web sites protesting
filtering will have their speech curtailed, said ACLU's Hansen, likening
the two dozen e-mailed court documents to filtering the Internet by
subpoena.

"Mattel doesn't need this court order," he said. "All it has to do is put
all the mirror sites on its blocked list." Then, no user of its software
will be able to download the bypass utilities from another site, he said.

Underscoring that point, the Peacefire site owned by Haselton is currently
filtered by Mattel's Cyber Patrol.

"We have looked for ways to not block Peacefire. But off its main page we
have found that it has information on how to hack into multiple products,"
said Sydney Rubin, spokeswoman for Microsystems.

"We have blocked Peacefire because there is almost no way not to block it."

RIGHTWING QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
For those who believe that fascism is only a thing of the past