Perhaps some on Pen-L might be interested in this

Cheers, Ken Hanly

April 18, 2000

NEW FROM THE CCPA

Here is a selection of new publications from the Canadian Centre for
Policy Alternatives.  Note that they do not, for the most part, include
new publications from our provincial offices.  For a complete list of
our publications, please visit our web site.

----------------

A REPORT CARD ON WOMEN AND POVERTY
By Monica Townson
(April 5, 2000 release)
Leading feminist economist and CCPA research associate Monica Townson
examines the state of poverty for women in Canada. She finds that almost
19% of adult women in Canada living in poverty, the highest rate in two
decades.  Among her other findings:
o There has been virtually no improvement in poverty rates of women
since the Royal Commission on the Status of Women in Canada issued its
report some 30 years ago.
o Fifty-six per cent of women heading single parent families have
incomes below the poverty line.
o Almost half of all women aged 65 or older have low incomes – exactly
the same poverty rate as that reported by the Royal Commission for this
group in 1967.
o Most poor people live thousands of dollars below the poverty line.
Sole-support mothers average $9,000 below the low-income cut-off, while
older women on their own are about $3,000 below, on average.

The Report Card can be downloaded from our web site:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca
Hard copy version is available for $10.00.
(Discounts for Bulk orders)

----------------

FALLING BEHIND: THE STATE OF WORKING CANADA 2000
(April 19 release)

By Andrew Jackson and David Robinson
with Bob Baldwin and Cindy Wiggins

Falling Behind is the most comprehensive and up-to-date reference on the
state of working conditions and living standards available in Canada.

This is the first of what will be annual publication.  It charts major
trends in the economic and social well-being of Canadians: the labour
market, the social wage: the role of unions, inequality and poverty,
taxes, international comparisons etc.  It is a valuable reference tool
for progressive researchers, policy-makers academics, media commentators
and activists.

Copies of Falling Behind can be obtained as of from the CCPA for $19.95
each (price includes shipping within North America, handling and GST
#124146473RT).

It can be purchased (after April 19) directly from our web site:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca

(Discounts available for bulk orders)

----------------

A BETTER WAY: PUTTING THE NOVA SCOTIA DEFICIT IN PERSPECTIVE
(April 3, release)

This is the inaugural publication of the nascent CCPA Nova Scotia
office.  Produced by a team of researchers and policy analysts, its main
thrust is to demonstrate that program spending is not the cause of Nova
Scotia's deficit problems, and cuts to spending are not the solution.

The biggest reasons for Nova Scotia’s continuing fiscal problems are:
weak economic growth over the past decade and the relatively greater
costs of federal spending cuts. While Nova Scotia has 3% of the Canadian
population, it took 15% of federal cuts. In addition, the increases in
Nova Scotia's "own-source" revenues were the third lowest among all
provinces between 1990
and 1999.

For more information, contact staff person, John Jacobs
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A Better Way: Putting Nova Scotia's Deficit in Perspective" and its
companion piece, "Choices for Nova Scotia's Future," can be downloaded
from our web site: http://www.policyalternatives.ca
Hard copy version is available for $10.00. (Discounts for Bulk orders.)

----------------

BRIEFING PAPER SERIES: TRADE AND INVESTMENT

The third in this series is now available. "The Cartagena Biosafety
Protocol: Opportunities and Limitations," examines the recently
concluded international agreement on trade in genetically modified
products. The stronger-than-expected environmental protection signals a
small but important step away from the dominance of trade over
environment, human rights etc. Canada was a reluctant signatory; trade
policy remains the preserve of hard-line free trade proponents. The
author, Michelle Swenarchuk, is a lawyer with the Canadian Environmental
Law Association.

Watch for the Scott Sinclair's briefing paper, An overview of the
General Agreement on Services (GATS) negotiation, currently in progress.
It will be available in early May.

The Trade and investment series can be downloaded from our web site:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca

----------------

WHO DO WE TRY TO RESCUE TODAY? CANADA UNDER CORPORATE RULE
by Ed Finn
(May 1, 2000 release)

"Ed Finn's new collection is must reading for anyone concerned about the
growing domination of corporate power and the resulting erosion of
democracy at all levels of our society."
--Mel Hurtig, author of "Pay the Rent or Feed the Kids: The Tragedy and
Disgrace of Poverty in Canada"

"Ed Finn is uncompromising about the need to challenge corporate power
head-on. Who Do We Try to Rescue Today is political commentary at its best."
--Tony Clarke, President, The Polaris Institute and author of "Silent
Coup: Confronting the Big Business Takeover of Canada."

Copies of Who Do We Try to Rescue Today can be obtained from the
CCPA for $19.95 each (price includes shipping within North America,
handling and GST #124146473RT).

It can be purchased (after May 1) directly from our web site:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca
(Discounts available for bulk orders)

----------------

THE FIGHT FOR THE FAMILY FARM:
By Darrin Qualman

This article on the crisis in Canada's farming community appears in the
most recent "Quarterly Review; Economic and Social Trends in Manitoba" a
publication of CCPA-Manitoba. It can be downloaded from our web site:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca  A longer version of this article will be
published as a CCPA monograph later this Spring.

----------------

MEMBERSHIP:

We are one of the leading sources of hard-hitting progressive policy
research, analysis and alternatives. Much of our work is available for
free. But of course it is not free. It costs money, a lot of money to
produce this work and keep our Centre going.  The bulk of our support
comes from our 5000 individual and organizational members. People like
you. We don't depend on government contracts or large private
foundation grants, giving us greater freedom and flexibility in our
research agenda.

So if you value our work and are not a member, please join. Visit our
web site for membership information or contact us at the address below.
Membership is tax receiptable.

--
Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
Please note our new address: