Let me add another major category of stuff I'm looking for re the annotated
bibliography noted in previous message--FEMINIST structural visions of life
beyond capitalism (some of this overlaps with utopian fiction, of course,
like perhaps these Mars books...)

Thad

At 01:23 PM 10/20/96 -0700, Blair Sandler wrote:
>Anyone else red I mean read the sci-fi trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, RED
>MARS, GREEN MARS, BLUE MARS? I just finished the first book, RED MARS, and
>it's very good: politics, economics, ecology, and revolution. Here are a
>couple of brief passages folks might find interesting, all excerpted from
>one large discussion occupying a few pages sequentially:
>
>[DISCLAIMER: the following excerpts represent passages I thought of
>interest, but not necessarily my opinions.]
>

>"This usually led to considerations of ecology, and its deformed offshoot
>economics...."
>
>"Anyway that's a large part of what economics is -- people arbitrarily, or
>as a matter of taste, assigning numerical values to non-numerical things.
>And then pretending that they haven't just made the numbers up, which they
>have. Economics is like astrology in that sense, except that economics
>serves to justify the current power structure, and so it has a lot of
>fervent believers among the powerful."
>
>"Everyone should make their living, so to speak, based on a calculation of
>their real contribution to the human ecoloyg. Everyone can increase their
>ecological efficiency by efforts to reduce how many kilocalories they use
>-- this is the old Southern argument against the energy consumption of the
>Northern industrial nations. There was a real ecologic basis to that
>objection, because no matter how much the industrial nations produced, in
>the larger equation they could not be as efficient as the South."
>
>"They were predators on the South.... And like all predators their
>efficiency is low."
>
>"It should be the law that people are rewarded in proportion to their
>contribution to the system."
>
>Dmitri, coming in the lab, said, "From each according to his capacities, to
>each according to his needs!"
>
>"No, that's not the same," Vlad said. "What it means is, You get what you
>pay for!"
>
>"But that's already true," John said. "How is this different from the
>economics that already exists?"
>
>They all scoffed at once.... "There's all kinds of phantom work! Unreal
>values assigned to most of the jobs on Earth! The entire transnational
>executive class does nothing a computer couldn't do, and there are whole
>categories of parasitical jobs that add nothing to the system by an
>ecologic accounting. Advertising, stock brokerage, the whole apparatus for
>making money only from the manipulation of money -- that is not only
>wasteful but corrupting, as all meaningful money values get distorted in
>such manipulation."
>
>"But all of these are subjective judgement!" John exclaimed. "How have you
>actually assigned caloric values to such a variety of activities?"
>
>"Well, we have done our best to calculate what they contribute back to the
>system in terms of well-being measured as a physical thing. What does the
> [...]
Thad Williamson
National Center for Economic and Security Alternatives (Washington)/
Union Theological Seminary (New York)
212-531-1935
http://www.northcarolina.com/thad