Bill worries that I have rescinded into racism myself, that I have turned
"white" into an inherently oppressive category. Bill can do this only by
distorting what he quotes and ignoring most of the rest (where I mention
such things as divide and rule strategies, though Bill reminds me in an
uncharacteristically dogmatic Marxist fashion not to forget the ruling
class!).

What I wrote is that the state by enumerating the population in racial
categories and thus engaging in racial "kind-making" has turned whites into
a potential minority (that is, there is not really a deficit or surplus of
any race; such things are created in and through representation and
discourse) and that by doing so, it may have encouraged racially paranoid
and defensive reactions.

The puzzle I was trying to figure out was why Prop 209 in California.  Is
it because whites understand themselves here in California as an impending
minority. I don't think this is a good answer exactly because it points to
inherently racist behavior.  Instead of simply blaming "whites" for this
reaction  or treating whites as an inherently oppressive people, I was
trying to suggest that such paranoia, though real (is this a racist
accusation?), may be the  result in part of racial kind making by the
state.

So Bill while I am sympathetic to  your insistence that we not treat white
as an inherently oppressive category, I would hope that this doesn't mean
it is inherently racist to refer to a white political backlash even if an
attempt is made to explain it as a) a possible consequence of the way the
STATE enumerates people, b)as incited by the RULING CLASS as part of a
divide and rule strategy, and c)as a form of DISCRIMINATION encouraged by
one group of workers as education parity is reached and work deskilled,
that is as an attempt to maintain the racialization of the division of
labor.

This last condition does point to the competition inherent in the condition
of wage labor and the possible discriminatory use of unions to protect jobs
for a favored group or "race."  But I wouldn't expect a dogmatic Marxist
like you to be critical of unions. Of course ultimately the answer to this
problem would have to be the abolition of wage labor, not the timid utopia
of affirmative action.

Moreover, I hope that your attempt to ensure that I don't engage in reverse
racism (quite the paranoia nowadays, by the way) doesn't serve as a barrier
or isn't meant as a barrier to a honest study of how widespread racist
attitudes, racial superstitions, and racial hatreds are today. Of course,
you could point me to Dinesh D'Souza's *The End of Racism*, the work
ironically enough that insists on the validity of the system of racial
classification in order to explain the inheritance of traits such as
intelligence.

Rakesh