On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Doug Henwood wrote:

> At 5:41 PM 11/9/96, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >I interpret the massive attack on affirmative action in
> >California as part of the "angry White male" phenomenon.
>
> Obviously, but one complicating point: according to the LA Times exit poll,
> 48% of women (race unspecified) voted for Prop. 209. From looking at the
> exit poll figures, it looks like only a third of the California electorate
> consists of white men, and not all of them voted Yes. Even if all white men
> voted in unison, they'd need lots of help from nonwhite nonmen to pass
> odious legislation.
>
> Doug

You can't blame this solely on white males.  One of the co-sponsors was
Gail Heriot, a law professor at University of San Diego.  Her motives for
this grow out of her devotion to law and economics as an approach to law
and life.  No doubt, others are like her in terms of their support for
the prop.  I also have heard from various sources that many thought
they were voting for affirmative action when they voted yes on 209. The
wording said that it was a vote against discrimination.  You had to get
past the way it was worded to understand it.  Even though there was a lot
of publicity on it, you can certainly chalk up some yes votes to
confusion.  (And don't forget that when Robert Kennedy ran for President,
5% of Americans polled said . . . "hey, I thought he'd been shot a few
years ago or something.  You can never dismiss the possibility of a
certain level of confusion.)

ej

Ellen J. Dannin
California Western School of Law