>I thought I already said I agree with them that I was willing to
>agree with Stanley A. that physics was subject to the criticism
>that its nature was deeply affected by the societal environment.

Of course physics and all the other "hard" sciences are affect by the
social, political, and cultural environment. These things determine what
get funded, what research gets done, and how people interpret experimental
evidence. On the other hand, there are real limits to such social
constructions. In his hoax piece, for example, Sokal describes conditions
under which pi would be a variable - something that was obviously music to
the ears of the social constructionists. But it ain't true, obviously. Or
read the first paragraph or two of Sokal's piece, which claims that
physical reality doesn't exist - more music to the social constructionists.
Ain't true either. That Social Text fell for the hoax was funny, but it
also revealed some serious intellectual problems with the social
constructionists' position that they have apparently still not
acknowledged.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood