>Or
>read the first paragraph or two of Sokal's piece, which claims that
>physical reality doesn't exist - more music to the social constructionists.
>Ain't true either. That Social Text fell for the hoax was funny, but it
>also revealed some serious intellectual problems with the social
>constructionists' position that they have apparently still not
>acknowledged.
>
>Doug

I don't agree with either of these claims.

(1) No "social constructionist" that I know of denies physical reality. The
question is, what's our epistemological relationship with this physical
reality. All we know of it, all we experience of it, and all we can say
about it, are mediated by culture, by discourse, that is, language *and
practice*. [Similarly, anyone who claims that discourse is just language
doesn't understand discourse: as Wittgenstein pointed out, language is
[embedded in] practice -- practical activity, or as Marx called it, praxis.]

It is interesting that the antis are so prone to make this claim, that
pomos don't believe in physical reality. It is *so* much easier to attack a
straw theory.

(2) That SOCIAL TEXT fell for the hoax may reveal some intellectual
problems with SOCIAL TEXT (their review process, or their familiarity with
the state of scientific research), but I think it says very little about
the questions raised in the science wars. In other words, the "hoax" by
Sokal was an effective propaganda tool in the situationist mode, but in and
of itself proves nothing (and contributes only marginally) to the real
debate, which is not moved forward in the least by such statements as
Doug's first claim above.

Putting the stupidest possible interpretation on a theory or deliberately
misreading it may be an effective way of winning an argument but does
little to increase our understanding.

Regards,

Blair

Blair Sandler