Greetings,

Graduate Employees at the University of California system are striking
this week in order to be recognized.  They need support from across the
country and they would appreciate messages of solidarity.

If you have a minute to spare please send a message of support to the
address:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can also send messages to the UC president expressing your
disapproval with the way that the UC system has handled this matter and
urging UC to recognize the Graduate Employees immediately (see below).

In 1994, a majority of grad's voted for the union; the administration
challenged their right to organize, but California labor courts ruled in
the grads' favor earlier this year.  Nonetheless, the administration still
refuses to recognize the union.  Grads at 3 campuses have voted to
strike, and at 2 others, they've voted to engage in civil disobedience.

More information is contained in the forwarded messages below.

Solidarity,
| Dennis Grammenos                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
| Departments of Geography &                                  |
| Russian and East European Studies                           |
| University of Illinois                Phone: (217) 333-1880 |
| Urbana, IL 61801                      Fax:   (217) 244-1785 |