Ever since *The Bell Curve*, those of us in ethnic studies find ourselves
needing to know more about wage inequality in the US. Well, I have been
following this debate between Paul Krugman and Ethan Kapstein and others;
Krugman has recommended the work of Robert Lawrence. So I read about half
of his Brookings Institute report today (Single World, Divided Nations:
International Trade and OECD Labor Markets?).

Confronted with the problem of wages not keeping up with productivity, Lawrence
attempts to reconceptualize the data. First, he says we should look at real
hourly compensation in the business sector, instead of real average hourly
earnings; the former has increased by almost 9%, while the latter has
decreased by 15% between 1973 and 1994.   Why? This category  "real
compensation" includes supervisory workers and it includes "fringe
benefits" which are doubtless enjoyed disproportionately by supervisory
workers. Isn't Lawrence merely using data which will mask the exploitation
and oppression of the proletariat?

Then Lawrence seems to engage in question-begging. He argues that productivity
increases have brought producer goods prices down but not consumer goods
prices; hence if workers had consumed what they produced, their real
compensation would have kept up with productivity. But doesn't this just
raise the question of why cheaper producer goods inputs did not have the
effect of bringing consumer prices down as well? It doesn't seem that
Lawrence even raises the question, much less answer it.

  Am I missing something?

I won't yet get into why the central topic of the book seems to me to be
about a false debate-- whether globalization or techno-organizational
change has been responsible for the declining relative fortunes of
"unskilled labor".   Nor will I yet ask whether this categorization of
workers as unskilled does not imply a false theorization of the
problem--that educational deficiency or  human capital investment-averse
behavior (is that the right phrase?)is the efficient cause of the problem.

Rakesh
Ethnic Studies