> Date sent:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:58:57 -0800 (PST)
> Send reply to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From:           [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Henwood)
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:        [PEN-L:8006] Re: contingent work

> At 12:40 PM 12/31/96, James Michael Craven wrote:
>
> >Where do these numbers come from?; e.g. < 5% employment is contingent
> >and "something like half of those are happy with their contingency?"
> >"Something like half" are happy with being disposable--more
> >explicitly-- cogs in the machinery of capitalism to be used up and
> >disposed of with no regard to the contributions they have made?
> >Really? I have heard of poll madness, but this takes the cake. And
> >for someone on the left to make a statement like this? On what basis?
> >Who did the surveys? Where were they published? I wonder if our part-
> >time teachers were surveyed by the Administration how they like being
> >contingent workers how they would answer vs if they were surveyed
> >anonymously.
> >
> >Of course in reality under capitalism all workers are contingent
> >workers in the real or de facto sense. Contingent workers have the
> >status that formalizes the de facto status of all workers under
> >capitalism.
> >
> >I just find the above statements amazing--especially on pen-l.
>
> They came from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, an organization I have great
> respect for. A preliminary version of the report is on their web site, and
> a fuller version will be published soon in the Monthly Labor Review, if it
> hasn't been already. If you have reason to doubt their accuracy, please
> tell me, and while you're at it, why not contact the authors at
> 202-606-6378? Otherwise, please dispense with the attitude-copping, which
> is analytically and politically useless, no matter how superior it makes
> you feel.
>
> Doug
>
> --
>
> Doug Henwood
> Left Business Observer
> 250 W 85 St
> New York NY 10024-3217
> USA
> +1-212-874-4020 voice
> +1-212-874-3137 fax
> email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> web: <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/LBO_home.html>

Response:

I wrote my response as to the problems I had with the BLS Stats
before I read this snotty reply. I'll dispense with my "attitude-
copping" if you dispense with the term "Left" on the title of your
little newsletter.

I stand by comments and do not need or even care about your opinion
as to what is or is not "politically useless." I question not the
methodologies per se but the whole bankrupt contrived categories,
parameters of analysis etc.

                                 Jim Craven

*  James Craven             * "Reason is a narrow system swollen   *
*  Dept of Economics        *  into an ideology.                   *
*  Clark College            *                                      *
*  1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd. *  With time and power it has become a *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663     *  dogma, devoid of direction and      *
*  (360) 992-2283           *  disguised as disinterested inquiry. *
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     *                                      *
*                           *  Like most religions, reason presents*
*                           *  itself as the solution to the       *
*                           *  problems it has created."           *
*                           *  (John Ralston Saul in "Voltaire's   *
*                           *  Bastards")                          *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION *