Rob Schaap wrote:

>Two men expressing affection in a homophobic world may do so by hugging
>each other, but only if they bring their forearms hard against each others'
>backs, preferably bruising some ribs, and then, for but a moment, making
>sure to hug hard enough to induce pain.  This is a very poignant ritual,
>but must be reserved for rare and moving occasions - like when someone
>remembers it is the object of theory that is the object of theory.

I think we need to theorize this - the need to differentiate this
kind of hug from an erotic hug, the need to bruise some bones in the
process, etc. etc. I'm reminded of that Barbara Krueger caption to a
photo of a football game - "You devise elaborate rituals to touch
each other."

Oh, sorry, this isn't economics.

Doug