Almost as if he could read my mind, Barkley submits questions which I have
been struggling to articulate.

>     4)  If it happens, it will be Schumpeterian and
>clearly led by the computer/info tech technology cluster.
>     5)  The more serious issue remains the incredible
>inequalities that seem to be going on with this whole wave
>of technology.  If this continues even with a long wave
>upswing (that might or might not happen), what then?
>Barkley Rosser

 Barkley argues that this technology cluster should primarily be analyzed
simply as a employment-generating and investment-inducing carrier of an
upcoming long wave, not in terms of the disruptive effects it has already
had and will have on the existing industrial structure. I think this
distinction is important, and it seems that much neo-Schumpeterian
economics has given too much emphasis to  "endogeneous" innovation and
imperfect competition in Schumpeter's analysis (Robert Kuttner provides a
quick summary in the Virtue of Markets) and  forgotten or at least not
analyzed the positive functionality which the master attributed to
recessions (and even the douche of depressions!)--though Michael Perelman
has often emphasized this in his provocative and accessible  works (*The
End of Economics*, 1996). Emphasized  instead is the carrier effect: this
is the mistake--dare I say--Paul David makes in his widely circulated paper
comparing the dynamo and the computer which gives little analytical
attention to the disruptions and devaluations a real Schumpeterian
technological revolution requires.

(Indeed one could argue that a recession is required in order to wipe out
those firms in branches which are not based on the carrier technologies,
thus giving further market power to those firms whose growth will stimulate
and be stimulated by the new technological nodes; this is to say that
disruptive recessions are not only effects of new technologies, as
Schumpeter emphasized, but preconditions for their diffusion--see for
example Guglielmo Carchedi in Frontiers of Political Economy).

But if we are to look at nodes only in terms of their carrier wave
effects--as Barkely seems to be insisting-- Francois Chesnais has suggested
the conditions a technology cluster would reasonably have to meet in order
to produce a long-wave carrier effect:

"The industries which represent nodes in technology are not necessarily
identical with those that have the heaviest investment-inducing and
employment creating effects, and of course visa-versa. [was it Doug who
recently noted that overall high tech industries have lost 1,000,000 jobs
since 1987--rb]. This is a point on which there is a lack of clarity in
Schumpeter."

 I think this is to say that a technological node does not necessarily have
to stimulate the upward long wave effects of increasing absolute employment
and real wages. Sylvia Ostry and Richard Nelson agree that to attribute  a
"carrier effect" to what is doubtless a technological node or cluster in
the Schumpeterian sense is to fall prey to technological fetishism. This is
not to answer Barkley's questions, but it is to agree that they are most
important ones.

Rakesh