At 04:35 PM 4/22/97 -0700, Gil wrote:

>Coincidentally, Ajit's post evoked a childhood memory of my own.  My parents
>took me to see a debate in which one participant made an argument for which
>his opponent apparently had no effective response.  Rather than expose this
>fact by attempting to answer the argument directly, that opponent told some
>elaborate  story involving circuses, elephants on hind legs, tigers jumping
>through hoops, and the like, seemingly intended (but not realized) as a
>metaphor about the first debater's argument.  This stratagem failed miserably.
________________

Your parents took you to see a debate? Some parents, I must say! My parents
told me that if you detect a participant losing his sense of humar in a
debate, you know he/she is too much on his/her backfoot.
_________
Gil:

>I suppose the relevance of one or the other of our childhood memories will
>presently become clear. Until then, I'll just note that Ajit ignores most of
>my direct responses to his original claims (e.g., concerning the
>significance of reswitching phenomena to the critique of the Walrasian
>model), and so far as I can see his new points just offer additional
>illustrations of my original position--that the differences he asserts
>between the Walrasian and Sraffian systems are more apparent than real,
>having much more to do with the different political economic concerns of
>their respective exponents than with any necessary difference in the
>analytical systems themselves.  Also, as a preview of what's to come, I'll
>reiterate my observation that mere omission shouldn't count as a point in
>favor of a theory.  If it did, then the  claim that "stuff happens" is the
>most powerful political economic model going.
_____________
Ajit:

The reason I ignored most of your so-called specific comments was that I
wanted to draw your, as well as others, attention to some basic
methodological and epistemological differences between the two theories, so
that your fundamental claim that Sraffian theory is just a special case of
the GE theory has simply no legs to walk on. You seem to have completely,
and I think delebrately, miss my point. If this long responce, which I'm
writing, does not take care of any of your "specific" claims, I'll go back
to it and make sure that I respond to them.
_______
Gil:

>Ajit continues:
>
>> I have one simple question to ask Gil, and then I might have more ;).
>>Question: Arrow-Debreu commodities have many properties attached to them.
>>One of them is time. So let's say we start off with the commodites for time
>>zero. These commodities, by definition cannot be the products of
>>commodities, ie. they could not have been produced by commodities.
>
>I disagree.  Ajit's claim holds only if one insists that in the Arrow-Debreu
>framework "time zero" *must* be interpreted literally as "the beginning of
>time", or, if you'd prefer, "the beginning of market time."  But in no case
>that I know of is "time zero" interpreted in this way--rather it is taken to
>represent "the current period" or "the initial period" of an economic
>interaction under study.  Of course, one can assume this without having to
>pretend that current endowments fall like manna from heaven.
_____________
Ajit:

Your disagreement cannot nullify the logical validity of my point. I never
said that time zero is GENERALLY taken to be before the beginning of
production. My point was that logically you could set up a general
equilibrium market before any production has taken place. Because, the
theory takes ENDOWMENTS as GIVEN. This was not my original point, as a
matter of fact. John Geanakoplos, who is respected enough in this area to
have written the entry 'Arrow-Debreu model of GE' in the New Palgrave, makes
this point. So let me quote Geanakoplos:

"The Arrow-Debreu model of general equilibrium is relentlessly neoclassical;
in fact it has become the paradigm of the neoclassical approach. This stems
in part from its individualistic hypothesis, and its celebrated conclusions
about the potential efficacy of unencumbered markets. (...). But still more
telling is the fact that the assumption of a finite number of commodities
(and hence of dates) forces upon the model the interpretation of the
economic process as a one-way activity of converting given primary resources
into final consumption goods. If there is universal agreement about when the
world will end, there can be no question about the reproduction of capital
stock. In equilibrium it will be run down to zero. Similarly when the world
has definite beginning, so that the first market transction takes place
after the ownership of all resources and techniques, and the preferences of
all individuals have been determined, one cannot study the evolution of the
social norms of consumption in terms of the historical development of the
relations of production. ONE CERTAINLY CANNOT SPEAK ABOUT THE PRODUCTION OF
ALL COMMODITIES BY COMMODITIES (SRAFFA, 1960) (SINCE AT DATE ZERO THERE MUST
BE COMMODITIES WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN PRODUCED BY COMMODITIES, I.E. BY PHYSICAL
OBJECTS WHICH ARE TRADED)." (pp. 57-58, emphasis added)

So you can see that not only my specific point was correct but Geanakoplos
is also indirectly alluding to the fundamental methodological difference
between the GE and the Sraffian theory, i.e. one is linear and the other is
circular.
____________
To my statement:

>> This situation cannot arise in Sraffian system because his commodities are
>always
>> products of commodities.

Gil responds:

>Yes, by assumption, but this hardly counts as a point in favor of the
>Sraffian system on descriptive grounds.
________
Ajit:

By assumption of what? The assumption is that the production must be
contextualized within a given mode of production. Sraffa does not talk in
terms of "agents" and "endowments" and prices of "endowments" etc. He talks
in terms of wages and profits, capitalists and wage-laborers. These
categories will not apply in any human situation, but are specific to the
capitalist mode of production. So it does count as a point in favor of
Sraffa, if you understand what is meant by HISTORY. However, your further
remarks suggests that you don't understand what I and probably rest of the
world understands by history. We will get to that soon.
___________
Gil:

  First, as a descriptive matter
>commodities *should* be time-indexed, as they are in the Arrow-Debreu
>framework, because in fact production and circulation takes
>time--commodities serving as inputs into production exist at an earlier
>point of time than the commodities produced with these inputs.  The Sraffian
>system, of course, glosses over this distinction.  If it didn't, it would
>commit the same spurious "error" Ajit identifies above.  More on this point
>below.
___________
Ajit:

Ironically, the point Gil makes above is a serious problem for the GE theory
and not a problem for the Sraffian theory. Since Gil repeats this point too
often, and I think it is an important point, so let me take some of your
time to explain the nature of the problem. My explanation is derived from
Garegnani's 'Quantity of Capital'.

Let us begin with Walras' problem first. The Walrasian system begins with
the assumptions that: (1) consumer preferences are given, (2) methods of
production at a given technical knowledge is given, and (3) the quantity of
factors of production available in the economy is given.

So the total quantity of factors are given, as well as all the ways in which
these factors could be combined to produce commodities are also given. The
measurement of these givens must be possible independent of prices,
otherwise the theory will get into circularity. Now, the 'factors' that are
considered 'capital' have two characteristics: they are products and they
are used for further production and wear out in a short period of time,
unlike land that stays there for ever. Now these two aspects of 'capital'
have two consequences: one, they have a supply price, and two, they have a
rate of return which, in a competitive enviorenment, has a tendency to
equalize. We will call these equalized rate of return, 'effective' rate of
return as opposed to nominal rates of return, i.e. empirical rates, which
may fluctuate around the 'effective' rate due to accidental factors. This
second requirement creates serious problem for Walras. Suppose we start off
with the assumption of zero gross savings. The prices of the hetrogeneous
capital stocks is determined by their given supply. But there is no
guarantee that the given configuration of capital stocks would be the one
'appropriate' to the production of the outputs required by the preferences
of the consumers. In that case the equality between demand and supply of the
various capital goods would require that the prices of the relatively
abundant capital good fall below the level compatible with the rate of
return on the supply price on the relatively scarce capital good. Thus,
violating the requirement of equality of return.

Garegnani further shows that this problem is not resolved by relaxing the
assumption of zero gross savings. The fundamental contradiction between
taking a hetrogeneous capital stocks as GIVEN and the price of capital goods
determined on the basis of intensity of consumer preferences would in
general violate the requirement of equal 'effective' return on capital
investment. Actually, Walras himself acknowledged it and made a retreat in
the 4th edition of the ELEMENTS. To quote Walras: "it is not all certain
that the amount of savings ... will be adequate for the manufacturing of new
fixed capital goods proper in just such quantities as will satisfy the last
l equations." (Walras, [1874-7]1954, p. 308, quoted from Garegnani).

There have been two different kinds of attempts to solve this problem. One
has been to assume capital as a single factor so that its physical
composition can be left to be solved by the equilibrium condition, i.e., to
think of it as a peculier factor that could change in 'form' without
changing in quantity. The second approach has been to reject the Walrasian
concept of equilibrium as a 'gravitational point'. This second approach is
followed by Arrow-Debreu and others.

The idea of equilibrium as 'gravitational point' distinguishes between
persistent forces and accidental factors. In this case the theory allows
sufficient time for the repetition of the same commodities' prices. But once
the idea of 'gravitational point' is given up, one cannot deny that the
tendency for the rate of return to equalize would affect the composition of
the GIVEN capital stocks; since accidental factors would generally keep the
prices away from the prices that would gurantee the 'effective' rate of
return on capital stocks. Therefore, in the Arrow-Debreu framework
equilibrium must be defined for every moment of time or a very short period
of time for which the quantity of given capital stocks can be taken as given
endowments. This is the reason why Arrow-Debreu commodities come with a
clock time or 'date' attached to them as their name tags.

Now, let me point out the weaknesses this name tag creats for the theory.
First of all, the Arrow-Debreu equilibra loses an important capacity of a
theory to distinguish between accidental and persistent causes. And, as
Garegnani suggests: "to the extent to which this is true, a purely
methodological reason, quite independent of the content of the theory,
arises for questioning the capacity of these equilibria to offer sufficient
guidance to the behaviour of the economy." (p.49).

Secondly, now it can no longer be denied that if production takes time, then
prices of inputs may diverge from the prices of outputs. So, there is no
guarantee that this divergence itself would not affect the behavior of the
agents and therefore the equilibrium conditions. [If Andrew and Alan are
listening, you should direct your fire at the Arrow-Debreu model which is a
legitimate target. Sraffa is not a legitimate target for your kind of attack
simply because it takes the long term view that allows repetition of prices
around the gravitational point].

Third, in this dated inviorenment, the savings and investment behavior of
the economy can only be taken into account by assuming a complete future
markets, which is an absurd idea. Because, even theoretically (forget about
practicality) it is not possible to imagine that we could know the tastes of
future generations and the rest.

Moreover, the Arrow-Debreu theory becomes fruitless for an analysis of
changes in taste, population, and most importantly 'capital' accumulation.
The concept of accumulation loses all its meaning, since at every moment of
time 'capital' is taken as stocks that is independently given. Even the idea
of capital accumulation is difficult to maintain!

Since this response is turning much longer than I thought, I'm going to send
this much first and the rest in the second batch.  Cheers, ajit sinha