First, I agree that recent technical innovations in communication and
transportation are of an incremental character and are therefor
relatively insignificant.  Larry Summers is right about the
steamship.

Second, I agree that global economic activity, in and of itself,
doesn't cause anything in particular.

The issue which this raises, however, is whether there have been
recent (post '74) changes in the international economy which have
been more than incremental.  I would like to nominate 2 for
discussion.

1) The end of U.S. hegemony and the internationalization of the
capitalist class.  This change is associated with the rise of Europe,
Japan, and the Asian Tigers, and consequent intensified international
competition.  It has been accompanied by the sundering of capitals
from home nation states and the establishment of multilateral
relations between international capitals and local states, thus truly
internationalizing capital for the first time.  This development has
seen the internationalization of a free trade regime pursued through
international institutions like the WTO, NAFTA, and the EU.

2)The integration of Eastern Europe, China, and formerly
revolutionary TW states and movements into the capitalist world market.

These changes can be seen as more than incremental.  The test of
their significance is whether or not they have substantially altered
the conditions of class struggle and/or the balance of class forces.
The answer to this question is indisputably yes.  It is not
globalization which has made things worse, but successful  capitalist class
struggle carried out under conditions of globalization which has made
things worse.

Is this observation pessimistic?  Perhaps in the short run.  But in
the long run, this development will increase the salience of the
international working class, Marxism, and ultimately social
revolution.

Terry McDonough