There is a difference between what use people DO make of a theoretical
framework and what use COULD BE made of a theoretical framework. And this
difference is part of what fuels the Skillman/Ajit debate it seems.

But it is also true that certain theoretical frameworks LEND THEMSELVES
MORE READILY to certain uses than others -- and certain abuses as well.

In this vein I have always appreciated the Sraffian framework for a use
it lends itself to that I consider very important. Namely: Wage rates and
profit rates are determined by important factors that are either absent
from or disguised and buried in politically counterproductive ways in
almost all uses of GE theory -- particularly in Arrow Debreu type form-
ulations. Since it IS NOT THE CASE that wages and profits depend only
on the relative supplies of different kinds of workers and different
willingness to save relations, and on the number of buyers and sellers
in different labor markets the GE "story" is very misleading as usually
told. The personal characterisitcs and attitudes and group relations of
employees have an effect on wages and effort levels. There is such a
thing as the bargaining power between employers and employees which is
influenced by a host of factors -- labor market conditions, political
conditions, etc. -- but also by individual and group employee character-
istics that are NON CONCEPTS in the GE framework. The usual use of the
GE framework implies there is no role for those factors to play -- at
least when the economy equilibrates. This is not true and debilitating.

Gil can point out that there are no concepts in the Sraffian model that
refer to these important factors in wage/profit determination. And he
would be correct. BUT the Sraffian framework is more self-consciously
limited. It screams out that something other than the analysis you are
being presented goes into determining the wage/profit ratio. That anyplace
on that wage profit frontier is technically possible, and where we will
be, and therefore what the comodity price system will look like depends
on forces that are impossible to model and analyze in the same kinds of
ways. GE theory sends just the opposite message.

Can GE theory be made to tell an accurate story? See, I know where you're
going Gil! Well, it is probably possible. But for now I have a shorter way
to tell the same story you MIGHT be able to pull out of a GE framework.
Namely, a conflict theory of the firm and wage/profit determination story
based on game-theory is the most important way to understand how wages and
profits come to be what they are. Wealth ownership and exit options are all
part of the description of the game. End of theoretical exercise 1. Once we
see what wage/profit distribuition is likely we can explain the determination
of relative goods prices with Sraffain theory -- focusing on the big part of
the story which is cost of production rather than demand influenced factors.
The Sraffian part of the story, theoretical excercise 2, is seen as the least
difficult and least interesting part of the whole -- a kind of competent
mopping up exercise.

One last note: Different theoretical models DO lend themselves more or less
readily to particular uses and abuses. The GE model probably IS a model that
lends itself very easily to a de-politicization of the story about how and
why the economy operates the way it does. Consumer beware there is no FDA
protecting you -- although your pen-l comrades are not a bad voluntary
substitute for government regulation!