Doug wrote
>How high is Jane Kelsey's profile in NZ? Her book, The New Zealand
>Experiment, is certainly at oods with the market-is-god form of PC.
Depends on who you are.
Amongst interested academics and some politicians she is reasonably well
known and on the left well thought of.As to the general public she'd be an
almost complete mystery.
A number of academics at Auckland University  ,where Kelsey is, have more
or less opposed the policy direction taken over the last 13 years. They get
the occasional sound bite and the odd feature article in the daily paper
but thats it. Oddly much of this has eminated from the economics department.
In fairness to assorted others academics opposition has not been limited to
just Auckland.Particularly noteworthy is a brave but small band of heretic
economists that can be heard chanting a hetrodox lament from the
wilderness, I mean wilderness both metaphorically and literally as some
hail from the scenic but sparsely populated south.

Bill Cochrane
Ngaruawahia
New Zealand
[EMAIL PROTECTED]