Breaking away from animal husbandry with my sheep, I am tempted to defend
Los Angeles against the dire slander that it is New York (the so-called
"Big" Apple) that is the world center of sarcasm and irony rather than the
City of the Angels. But instead, a couple comments on Roemer.

First, I want to praise Louis Proyect for his useful trashing of Roemer.
It's not the kind of thing that would get published in an academic journal,
but it's quite appropriate to pen-l.

Second, I must admit that I tried to read the Roemer book that Louis
surveys, after Barkley sent me a copy for review. I had to send it back,
unreviewed, because it was too boring -- and too far off from my own
research -- to read.

But I did note something. Awhile back, Roemer developed his "general theory
of exploitation." Gary Dymski and I published critiques of his models of
capitalist exploitation, a short one in the REVIEW OF RADICAL POLITICAL
ECONOMICS (1989) and a long run in ECONOMICS AND PHILOSOPHY (1991). If I
were forced to summarize our critique in a sentence, it is that even though
Roemer's a good mathematician and logician, he's a poor economist. (For
example, his models are unstable when treated as an actual description of
the way an economy works: exploitation for him is based on the scarcity of
means of production, but he never explains that scarcity; in fact, scarcity
creates the incentive to accumulate, which abolishes the scarcity -- and
the exploitation.)

Anyway, I don't consider his response to Gary and my articles to very
serious except that he conceded we were right on a point or two. He never
even mentions our critique in EGALITARIAN PERSPECTIVES, even though he
reproduces some articles there that we criticized. (He also doesn't mention
Gary Dymski and John Elliott's trenchant critique.) But as far as I can
tell, our criticism simply encouraged him to retreat further from
descriptive economics (and from Marxism) to dwell in the utopian neverland
of normative economics.

To some extent, people like Roemer (and Gintis) go off the deep end because
people on the left are intolerant of strange opinions and attitudes. (BTW,
the same intolerance is common on the right and in the middle.) But I think
that both got swept up in the self-image of the economics professors as
math-wielding scientists who are better than other mortals.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.