Wojtek writes that: >> we can safely dismiss all so-so biologies,
eveloutionary psychologies, etc. as crap without even reading it, for the
same reason we dismiss astrology, parapsychology, and metaphysics without
even bothering to refute them -- because they attempt to sneak on us an
impossible task of linking the material and the spiritual into a single
chain of events, <<

I agreed with what Wojtek said about so-so biology, except for the above.
Even though most or all of sociobiology seems to be utter crap, I think
that it is a mistake to dismiss it (and evolutionary psychology) "without
even reading it." First, some sociobiologists have responded to the
criticisms (since Edward O. Wilson's SOCIOBIOLOGY, which is indeed
execrable). Some of what they've produced is more sophisticated -- i.e.,
less reductionist -- than Wilson's work.

Second, it's always good to know what the enemy is thinking, if only to
respond to them. Since some people might respond by saying "maybe sexism is
right," the best argument against Wilson is not that he's sexist but that
his analysis involves logical, methodological, and/or empirical flaws. (Use
a scientific argument to _back up_ the moral argument that he is sexist.)
BTW, I think it's a good idea to argue against astrology also, in order to
encourage people to be rational and to embrace a scientific attitude.

Third, I've read some evolutionary psychology (a book by Simon Baron-Cohen
on the issue of autism) and it wasn't all that bad. (BTW, this field was
founded by philosophically- minded scholar whose name is Humphries, I
believe.) The author wasn't claiming to be presenting the last word or
anything as much as some new perspectives; he wasn't reductionist. He
claimed that we share something with the animals, i.e., attention to the
"language of the eyes" as a way of communicating with others of the
species. I wouldn't say that the author was totally successful. But the
idea that we share some behavior with the animals isn't totally off.
Despite his (and his school's) many failings, Freud was right that we have
bodies and bodily urges and that these affect our behavior and
consciousness. (He was also right that there's much more than just bodily
urges.)

BTW, since we on the left coast recieve the NATION a week later than anyone
else, I should be receiving the one with Ehrenreich's article sometime in
June.

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"A society is rich when material goods, including capital,
are cheap, and human beings dear."  -- R.H. Tawney.