Wojtek, if I read you right, you're saying that being in the same
geographical area, especially in face-to-face contact, breeds solidarity.
Maybe, but that predicts that the plant manager will have more in common
with the plant's rank and file than with the folks at corporate HQ. That
doesn't fit with the facts that I've seen.

The pre-Mao Chinese empire had a solution to the tendency for emissaries of
the central power to identify with localist goals. They rotated them
between areas and made sure that no-body ever was in charge of a province
that he was from. (Never a she, strangely.)

BTW, when I was talking about a second line of communication between
GOSPLAN and the factory, I was talking about informal, often illegal,
relationships. Similar relationships existed between plant managers.

Max, Bill is right that you seem to be rejecting democracy (at least
today). However, you don't seem to be a totalitarian or even an apologist
for management. I do agree with Bill that democracy is an end in itself,
rather than being a means to an end. Democratic sovereignty seems the only
legitimate political principle.

Also, Max, it sure seems that your vison predicts that the Economic Policy
Institute would be a collectively self-aggrandizing organization that would
always be opportunistically taking advantage of others (and the natural
environment) in order to build the careers of its leaders and (to a lesser
extent) its members. It predicts that it would be willing to do research
for the Moonie-run WASHINGTON TIMES -- for a price. (Wojtek's theory also
suggests similar.)  I'll let you decide whether the prediction fits the
facts or not.

-- Jim