> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:59:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From: "Max B. Sawicky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [PEN-L:11918] Re: Blackfeet National Bank--Another Struggle
>
> > From:          "James Michael Craven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject:       [PEN-L:11917] Blackfeet National Bank--Another Struggle
>
> > I posted this previously with no response. I got a lot of response on
> > the subject of "high-class" prostitutes in Canberra, AU but
> > apparently the subject of genocide against American Indians in a
> > America is not on this weeks "buffet" or of much interest to some of
> > the keyboard revolutionaries. BTW, wouldn't this be a nice story for
> > "Left Business Observer"?
>
> I don't remember the prior post, but Nader's people might want to
> make something out of this.  The place to inquire would be
> Public Citizen in D.C. (202-833-3000), as well as some places
> on the Hill (e.g., Senators Inouye and Campbell).  You could
> probably get a story on this into the Progressive or In These Times.
> It's not as much an LBO story.
>
> MBS

> Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
> 202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
> 202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
> http://epn.org/sawicky
>
> Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
> of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
> Institute other than this writer.
Max,

Thanks for the suggestion. BTW an update: a Texas District Court also
recently found that annuities are not insurance. With the role of the
insurance companies and the IRS and the role of business in fiding
new ways to do it to Indians, I thought that LBO might be interested.

BTW, I was at a meeting the other night at the Blackfeet Reservation
in Browning and who showed up but a representative from Ist
Interstate Bank Corp. It seems that they really are concerned about
the isolation of Indians and would like to set up ATMs on the
reservation--how nice of them. Of course the fact that many tribes
will be getting more Oil and Gas money with possible revaluation of
oil/gas royalties has nothing to do with it. Right now, almost all of
the key businesses on the reservation are white-owned and only
aproximately $0.12 of every Indian dollar spent on the reservation
stays on the reservation.

I asked the bank rep from first Interstate where the white banks have
been for the last two hundred years plus since his pitch was "trickle
down" and "we do it all for you". He didn't have an answer.

                               Jim Craven

*                           "Those who take the most from the table,*
*  James Craven                teach contentment.                   *
*  Dept of Economics         Those for whom the taxes are destined, *
*  Clark College               demand sacrifice.                    *
*  1800 E. Mc Loughlin Blvd. Those who eat their fill,              *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663        speak to the hungry,                 *
*  (360) 992-2283              of wonderful times to come.          *
*  Fax: (360) 992-2863    Those who lead the country into the abyss,*
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           call ruling difficult,               *
*                              for ordinary folk." (Bertolt Brecht) *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION  *