The way to say it without sounding like a chauvanist is to say it like a
feminist. There is no cultural basis for asserting that Sr. Nirmala is
acting out of an Indian cultural perspective. The beauty of culture is its
adaptability. The Indian pantheon of religions include many female deities,
and their is no Hindu sanction against abortion. The cultural imperialism
of Europe and the patriarchy of Roman Catholicism (objected to by most
Catholic women I might add) is what Sr. Nirmala is dutifully regergitating
as per the requirements of subservience in her Catholic church heirarchy.

The rigidity of the backward patriarachal Euro-Centrated position you find
objectionable in Sr. Nirmala comes from Rome and hundreds of years of
Vatican mysogynist jibberish. It hails from no where else.

Ellen Starbird