>> Louis P:
>> What does this mean other than there is a large Maoist contingent in India?
>> Rakesh raised the question of Soviet "exploitation" of India over on the
>> Spoons list in a "state capitalism" thread, but could provide no numbers
>> only a reference to a book that did. Does anybody believe that the Soviet
>> Union had the same kind of bloodsucking relationship to India that England
>> did? England owned tea plantations. What did the USSR own?

Look Proyect, the reference has the numbers. I don't have a scanner, nor
the time to read and summarize complex analyses in unrelated fields (I am
no genius).  You had simply dismissed as outlandish that the USSR practiced
any form of imperialism in the third world, you suggested that it would be
impossible to provide statistical proof of such an absurdity (even going to
the extent of suggesting that Russia was exploited by its Eastern European
satellites).

I suggested to you, ridiculously thinking you may be interested in a
counter-opinion, a substantial critique of Soviet-Indian *trade* as
unequal.

  You obviously have no interest in tracking it down, and analyzing it. You
won't even mention the title here. By the way, the author is London School
of Econmics Ph.D., and full professor at the Indian Institute of Management
in Calcutta. He also reads Russian, which I thought you may find
interesting.

By the way, it would surprise me if he wrote this as propaganda for the
Maoist Indian parties as you seem to insinuate by the way you have
juxtaposed sentences; in the collection he seems to be most sympathetic to
Trotsky-inspired Marxism of Mandel (offering several criticisms of Samir
Amin and Arrighi Emmanuel). So what was probably your ad hominem dismissal
of this work as petty bourgeois Maoism won't wash either. I wouldn't be
surprised if you were attempting to insinuate that I was a Maoist as well.
There is something deeply disturbing about the way you argue and insinuate.
Really, you give me the creeps.

Check it out.

Nirmal Kumar Chandra, "USSR and Third World: Unequal Distribution of Gains"
in The Retarded Economies: Foreign Domination and Class Relations in India
and other Emerging Nations. (Bombay: Oxford University Press, 1988). The
analysis was written in 1977.

Rakesh